IEM for a weekend musician - $500 or less
Apr 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

woof37

500+ Head-Fier
I've been subbing for the drummer at my church the last month or so...he's a touring professional, so there's no pressure there, right?...and I am seriously about to lose my hearing.  We get a feed from the mixer with a background track (we're a small church) via a wireless pack with some basic Sony on-ear studio headphones.  Haven't been able to get enough volume from the wireless pack output so I have a Fiio E11K strapped to the front of the pack.  

The problem is that I'm behind some clear acrylic soundshields, and every time I hit a drum, all that energy bounces back and drowns out the sound from the headphones.  I'm having to turn the headphones up to the point that I can hear them and myself play, and my ears ring for two days afterwards.  Ouch.  

So...long story short, I need something in-ear that sounds good and accurate to where I can hear the mix and not have to blast it to do so.  I called one IEM company and talked to one of their guys - he said I need the three-driver model at a minimum since I am a drummer.  What would you do?  

Thanks.  BTW, Tinnitus sucks.  Totally value anything you have to say on this - I have zero knowledge of IEMs.

Cliff

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 3
Do you know what model Sony's you have? That might help in people being able to tell you what would provide you better isolation.

Etymotic Research ER4P are well known for their isolating ability as the model series was originally developed for stage musicians. This list of reviews might help you find alternatives: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-335-iems-compared-sennheiser-momentum-in-ear-added-03-26-15-p-1050

Users who are viewing this thread

Back