IEM for ~$60?
Aug 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TooLazy

Head-Fier
After lurking here for while in search of a new IEM I finally decided to register, since I'm still unsure what to get.
I'm no expert at describing the sound I'm looking for, but I enjoy a fairly balanced one. Bass is important, but I'd go for fast and punchy over large and bloated. I'd use it to listen to various genres, with a focus on (heavier) rock/ metal and acoustic music, but also including classical and some electronic. This, of course, means that I'd like a versatile IEM. (EDIT: I seem to have left this out, but fairly good instrument separation would be nice.)
As far as design is concerned, I really prefer wearing them over-the-ear to straight down. Also, decent isolation is a must, but nothing extreme is necessary.
The source would be an iPod Touch for the time being, but that might change in the near future.

The one's I've looked at the most are thre VSonic VSD1(S) and the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, the latter one being harder to acquire.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 11
Ive heard of some common ones in this price category such as sennheiser cx300s and klipsch s4s.But the brainwavz m2 is in this price range right now on amazon and they are very very good for the price in my opinion. I dont know a lot about the  v sonics you speak of but i know that the gro7s are FABULOUS and if the vsd1s have that price/ performance ratio, then you should put that at the top of your list.
Hope this was helpful
Nusho

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Ive heard of some common ones in this price category such as sennheiser cx300s and klipsch s4s.But the brainwavz m2 is in this price range right now on amazon and they are very very good for the price in my opinion. I dont know a lot about the  v sonics you speak of but i know that the gro7s are FABULOUS and if the vsd1s have that price/ performance ratio, then you should put that at the top of your list.
Hope this was helpful
Nusho

I've heard both the CX300 and the S4 in the past, and I wasn't a fan of either. Browsing the forums led me to believe that several IEMs, including the ones I mentioned provide better sound quality.
I'll have to check out the M2, since I haven't heard a lot about them. And yep, sound quality isn't my biggest concern with the VSD1, rather comfort (since I vaguely recall something that made them less than ideal for over-the-ear use) and durability.

Thanks for the help!

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 11
i really can recommend the philips SHE3590. Those are totally underrated and really great value for that little money ( like 10 dollars? really?). They sound much better than many 50-80 dollar IEM that i own. Also i want to mention the SUPERLUX HD381 & HD381F. These are really, really nice ~ especially the 381F. 20euros . . . thats a joke for what you get. easyilly beats 60-100 dollar IEM's for me. The only downside i have with the superluxes is . . . they isolate really bad. almost no isolation here  :-/

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 11
I like to choose the one to wear comfortable
8.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Check out VSonic VSD1 or Zero Audio Carbo Basso
Pretty good stuff for the price

Do you happen to have any personal experience with them? I'm asking party because I'd like some opinion on how comfortable they are (especially if worn over-the-ear) and how tolerable the driver flex is, because I've heard complaints about that for both.
Quote:
i really can recommend the philips SHE3590. Those are totally underrated and really great value for that little money ( like 10 dollars? really?). They sound much better than many 50-80 dollar IEM that i own. Also i want to mention the SUPERLUX HD381 & HD381F. These are really, really nice ~ especially the 381F. 20euros . . . thats a joke for what you get. easyilly beats 60-100 dollar IEM's for me. The only downside i have with the superluxes is . . . they isolate really bad. almost no isolation here  :-/

I'll have to check the Philips out! If for nothing else, they sound like a nice backup or for exercise. Sadly the Superlux's lack of isolation is a dealbreaker, since I'm planning on using them in the city.

Thanks for the comments, both of you!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Do you happen to have any personal experience with them? I'm asking party because I'd like some opinion on how comfortable they are (especially if worn over-the-ear) and how tolerable the driver flex is, because I've heard complaints about that for both.
I'll have to check the Philips out! If for nothing else, they sound like a nice backup or for exercise. Sadly the Superlux's lack of isolation is a dealbreaker, since I'm planning on using them in the city.

Thanks for the comments, both of you!

No I've no personal experience with them. I've kept reading about them being recommended by others on Head-Fi though and sounds like you already know where to look for them 
smile.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 11

Yes..i agree w/ Natsukawa. For under $100 SUPERLUX HD381 & HD381F, especially HD381F is recomended. Superlux HD381's is a keeper or may i say is a giant killer. I have Shure SE215, SE535, VSonic GR02BE which a same character with VSD1. But for me, I like Shure SE215 & SE535. And for everyday use... i use Superlux 381 & 381F. The Character of Superlux & Shure for me is almost the same. They're realy outstanding iem sound  for < $30 price i have. But for me the isolation of HD381's is good for my ear rather than VSonic, 'cos VSonic sometime it hurt my ears. It's depand on your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back