IEM for 13 Year Old - Durability/Price
Jun 24, 2015 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BeatsWork

1000+ Head-Fier
My 13 year old son would like to "step up" with a nice pair of IEM's.  Problem is that - he's 13 and doesn't treat anything he owns very gently.  We've gone through numerous headphones and cheap earbuds where the wires failed at IEM.  I suspect due to his habit of tightly wrapping cable around DAP. 

So - any suggestions for ~$50 IEMs with detachable i.e. replaceable cords or bullet-proof fixed cords?  Again looking for "better than generic earbud" sound and durability not "the best" possible sound with DAP, no amp.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 11
You dirty enabler - look at the Shure SE112 which has a decent non-removeable cable, RHA is quite good too - MA350 for example, if you can get them where you are.

Replaceable cords tend not to be available for cheaper IEMs. Just get your son a case for the IEMs - I cringed at the words 'tightly wrapping cable around DAP' - shudder.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 11
My teenage son is fairly abusive to IEMs, and over the years, we've had good luck with the Soundmagic E10s lasting longer than others we have tried. I've given up on giving him nicer IEMs. I also tried detachable cable IEMs. Well, that didn't work because how he abused them damaged the jack on the IEM.

The E10 has a somewhat v-shaped sound, IMO, with good bass. A sound signature that tends to be appealing with that age group. Here's a head-fi review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/581119/review-soundmagic-e10

Get this package and see if you can get him to keep them in the case when not being used: http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Gunmetal-Isolating-Earphones-eartips/dp/B00J4SRJWG/

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 11
VSonic VS3DS, and you can get spare cables from Lunashops (better order one when you order the IEM, regular post from HK takes a while). In any case, I suspect your son has loose enough pants or has a bag, tell him to use the case that comes with it instead of wrapping the IEM around his player.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Jun 25, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 11
VSonic VS3DS, and you can get spare cables from Lunashops (better order one when you order the IEM, regular post from HK takes a while). In any case, I suspect your son has loose enough pants or has a bag, tell him to use the case that comes with it instead of wrapping the IEM around his player.

Those are the ones that my son easily tore up. It's the jack on the IEM that went bad, not the cable. It's the weak link, not the strain relief (or adequate lack there of).

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Just saw a deal posted on Deal Forum which is looking pretty ideal.  Whestone Adventure Beta for $49  - replaceable cable and intended for "Active" use which would suggest durability
wink.gif

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=WST78401

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Get this package and see if you can get him to keep them in the case when not being used: http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Gunmetal-Isolating-Earphones-eartips/dp/B00J4SRJWG/

I fear that telling him to use case will be about as effective as telling him to clean his room!  Good option though. 

And for the record he is going to chip in $40 of his own money (Im not a total "Enabler")  so I'm going to present him with all of the options tonight.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 11
I didn't see the MEElectronics M6 Pro mentioned yet. It's right at the budget and has replaceable cables. It even comes with two cables (one with remote). I have used mine for a motorcycle ride, so going in and out of a helmet several times. And I use them for other work around the house and in the garage. I try to be careful, but those are some harsh conditions.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 11
  Save up and buy the Shure SE215

My son doesn't like over-the-ear style and reviews mention significant break in period for cables before they sit down in place without fussing. Not to over share but my son has Asperger's syndrome so shirt tags and things that require fussing for fit are a non-starter. Ironically he's the one who would benefit from higher audio quality more so than my daughter as he's the one who can hear a song once and then rattle off a list of songs with similar riffs etc.  It cracks me up but due to Call of Duty and Guardians of the Galaxy he's totally hooked on 70's rock and pestering me to find remasters of his favorite tracks. I've created a monster and future Headfi'er
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back