IEM equivalent for Audeze LCD2?
Apr 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bionicman

Head-Fier
I run a pair of Audeze LCD2 Rev2's, Schiit Lyr, and Schiit Bifrost at home, but I'd like to purchase a nicer IEM with a similar sound signature for office use. I'm currently using a pair of Klipsch Image S4's at the office, and I do like them, particularly their bass response, but I'm looking for a bump in detail, clarity, and soundstaging. Considering these will be living at the office, I have no intention of spending big bucks, so I'm thinking <$200 sounds reasonable. Does anyone have a suggestion for what might fit this bill?

. . . or would it be smarter to add a DAC and headphone amp to the Klipsch S4's? The audio source is my desktop and I have a Schiit Modi I'm not using at home, so I'd only be into it for the $100 Magni to try this idea. Anyone care to weigh in?

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 13
You own a LCD-2.2 and think the Klipsch S4 sounds good? All klipsch's are a joke, including the X10 or X11i, no offense.

Used Ultimate Ears TF10 or Super.Fi 5 PRO is definitely the way to go for clarity (especially in the higher registers), and the soundstage and detail are amazing. Average bass-quality for the price, but the highs are the best I've ever heard in a sub $200 (used) IEM. 

Note: if you have small ears, the TF10 may not fit you well. They also stick out a lot and don't go that deep into your ear canal, but still isolate quite well with comply tips. 

DONT GET THE "NEWER" UE900's. The highs are horrible and there's a lack of detail in the midrange. Or maybe I just got a defective one. IMO, pre-logitech Ultimate Ears was much better than the crap Logitech pumps out now. 

In short, the TF10/SF5 is the way to go. They also hold good resale value. Get one and you won't look back ;D

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 13
For a $79 IEM . . . yeah, I do think the S4's sound pretty good for what they are. That said, I have very little exposure to the world of IEM's.

Besides the fact that I'm a germaphobe, I try to avoid buying used audio gear. (way more hassle than it's worth when you get used equipment that doesn't work properly) 

Anybody have new recommendations within my target budget?

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 13
I've asked the same question in joker's thread. I personally went with the hifiman re-400. The re-400 is a (tiny) bit brighter, and has a bit less bass than the lcd 2. Because it's brighter, you can't turn the volume up as much as the lcd2 or it will start to get a bit harsh on the treble.

Basically i'm looking for something mid centric, not shove-it-into-your-face forward with less midbass, and a bit more clarity, and no sibilance, and kind of warm. Something that sounds natural (transparent?) and on the warm side of neutral a la lcd2.

I'm guessing the shure se535 might be it, but in your review you say that it's bested by some newer offerings so im wondering what they may be. I'm guessing the sm64, since you say its still dark sounding, but can make claims to sonic balance. But I'm still unsure. My price range is still 400-500, but this time, no brand preference, though I'm leaning towards the sm64 if I can actually find someplace to buy them.(I already emailed earsonics about the vat tax)

Yeah, the SE535 would do it. It's a better LCD-2 match than the SM64. It's a little pricy though - IMO the TDK BA200, Sony MDR-7550, and even HiFiMan RE-400 are a better value for that type of sound, and the StageDiver SD-2 might be the holy grail if you're spending SE535 money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back