IEM/earbuds carrying case recommendations?
Feb 28, 2017 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Pheckphul

New Head-Fier
I've managed to break two pairs of IEMs by carrying them in the cargo pockets no the legs of my cargo shorts. I wear cargo shorts/pants all the time; if I'm not in cargo shorts/pants, then I'm naked. Get the idea?  
regular_smile .gif
 Anyway, after the first incident I purchased a semi-rigid case to carry the replacements in, but this was insufficient to protect them. I have no idea how either pair was broken; I didn't run an obstacle course or engage in hand-to-hand combat while carrying them; it was just in the course of a normal day, and I'm an IT guy, not a construction worker or bouncer.

I am hoping one of the Über Gurus here could provide a recommendation of a sufficiently sturdy case to protect my investment. Anyone have a recommendation?  (Other than not to carry them I hope.)

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 24
Really? No one has any suggestions for me?

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 24
  I've managed to break two pairs of IEMs by carrying them in the cargo pockets no the legs of my cargo shorts. I wear cargo shorts/pants all the time; if I'm not in cargo shorts/pants, then I'm naked. Get the idea?  
regular_smile .gif
 Anyway, after the first incident I purchased a semi-rigid case to carry the replacements in, but this was insufficient to protect them. I have no idea how either pair was broken; I didn't run an obstacle course or engage in hand-to-hand combat while carrying them; it was just in the course of a normal day, and I'm an IT guy, not a construction worker or bouncer.

I am hoping one of the Über Gurus here could provide a recommendation of a sufficiently sturdy case to protect my investment. Anyone have a recommendation?  (Other than not to carry them I hope.)

Do you want to have this case on your person during the day, or are you merely transporting the earphones from point a to point b and then going off on your way? That is, do you need them to be in the case and on your person throughout the day?

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 24

I keep mine in a soft pouch like this...

...and then pack it into my messenger bag with my other stuff like this.

A hardcase is great for being crush-proof but if your IEM bounces around in there it's impacting a hard surface repeatedly. I use the hardcase that came with my IEMs when the weather looks like it'll be wet (as it's watertight), but it also has a foam lining. Maybe line your case with foam or get a soft pouch, as long as you're sure you won't sit or fall on it.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 24
  Do you want to have this case on your person during the day, or are you merely transporting the earphones from point a to point b and then going off on your way? That is, do you need them to be in the case and on your person throughout the day?

I want to carry them around in a cargo pocket and have them be protected from being broken. I've broken two pairs stored in my cargo pockets. Obviously I bumped up against something or something bumped up against me, but nothing out of the ordinary else I'd be able to pinpoint the specific action that caused them to be broken.

Thank you for your reply.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 24

I keep mine in a soft pouch like this...

...and then pack it into my messenger bag with my other stuff like this.

A hardcase is great for being crush-proof but if your IEM bounces around in there it's impacting a hard surface repeatedly. I use the hardcase that came with my IEMs when the weather looks like it'll be wet (as it's watertight), but it also has a foam lining. Maybe line your case with foam or get a soft pouch, as long as you're sure you won't sit or fall on it.

What I really need is a hard case. I've been carrying them in a semi-rigid case and that has failed to protect the two pairs I've managed to brreak. What I need to find is a 2.5" x 2.5" x 1" hard case of some sort.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 24
  I used to use an old eyeglasses case when I would carry around my iems, you can get foam and super glue them to get a more secure fit but I've never had any problems.

Unfortunately an eyeglasses case is too large for my purposes, however something that was of the same construction and 2.5" x 2.5" x 1" would be perfect.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 24

What I really need is a hard case. I've been carrying them in a semi-rigid case and that has failed to protect the two pairs I've managed to brreak. What I need to find is a 2.5" x 1" hard case of some sort.

That's a pretty small case considering this is what some IEMs come with:

Cigarette hardcase for size reference - it's roughly the size of a regular pack. Also...I don't know what you consider to be cargo shorts, but these fit in one cargo pocket each on the two that I own, with enough space for a couple of bolt action rifle clips (not the longer mags on assault rifles).

Any smaller than that and you won't have any padding, which is important because the ASG-1.3 there is a replacement unit. The prior case didn't have foam liner, and despite being in my messenger bag all the time, was bouncing around against hard plastic and eventually cracked. In other words, you're not protecting your IEMs any better. And since you've been using semi-rigid cases, a hardcase would just be worse. The only thing better really is the construction of a Crumpler (One/Two) Million Dollar Home bag, ie, there's a plastic piece in the liner that keeps it rigid but there's a lot of padding everywhere all over the interior (siilar construction as the Barney Rustle and other messenger bags vs Timbuk2 for example, but the MDH series is primarily for cameras, hence all the padding).

Here's the One Million Dollar Home - not the best angle but you can see how the bottom corners on the far left have well defined corners due to the plastic frame in the lining.

Maybe pick up the Click Elite camera accessory pouch as it's semi rigid but has relatively soft padding in the interior. I have one and use it for my camera's wide angle converter. Problem is that the reason why I can even fit my converter lens in there is that it's somewhat bulky. If anything, at least it's lighter than my padded Otterbox.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 24

That's a pretty small case considering this is what some IEMs come with:

Cigarette hardcase for size reference - it's roughly the size of a regular pack. Also...I don't know what you consider to be cargo shorts, but these fit in one cargo pocket each on the two that I own, with enough space for a couple of bolt action rifle clips (not the longer mags on assault rifles).

Well, with the dimensions I quoted the IEMs won't be bouncing around much, but I see what you mean. Something about half the size of the hard case you've pictured above would be ideal (the cable can be on top of the IEMs), assuming it's made out of hard plastic, as it appears. What is the make/model of the above pictured case?

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 24

Well, with the dimensions I quoted the IEMs won't be bouncing around much, but I see what you mean. Something about half the size of the hard case you've pictured above would be ideal (the cable can be on top of the IEMs), assuming it's made out of hard plastic, as it appears. What is the make/model of the above pictured case?

It's from Aurisonics, it came with my ASG-1.3. First one I purchased had no foam liner in the case (as in this really is the packaging they come in, with some kind of carton box over it). They cracked, and sent me the replacement units in the newer foam lined case that came with the ASG-1.5.

A good alternative to that Otterbox (they don't sell one with a foam liner AFAIK) is the Pelican 1010, roughly the same size but the cover side isn't padded, but you can just coil the cable so that the IEM earpieces are between the foam bottom and the cable.

Note that this is still bigger than the dimensions you want at 4.06 x 2.12 x 5.88.
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1010-Micro-Black-Clear/dp/B002BTRRJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489143978&sr=8-1&keywords=IEM%2Bcase&th=1

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 24

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 24

It's from Aurisonics, it came with my ASG-1.3. First one I purchased had no foam liner in the case (as in this really is the packaging they come in, with some kind of carton box over it). They cracked, and sent me the replacement units in the newer foam lined case that came with the ASG-1.5.

A good alternative to that Otterbox (they don't sell one with a foam liner AFAIK) is the Pelican 1010, roughly the same size but the cover side isn't padded, but you can just coil the cable so that the IEM earpieces are between the foam bottom and the cable.

Note that this is still bigger than the dimensions you want at 4.06 x 2.12 x 5.88.
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1010-Micro-Black-Clear/dp/B002BTRRJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489143978&sr=8-1&keywords=IEM%2Bcase&th=1

I looked at the Pelican 1010 (and others) and still too big for what I want. Too picky, I know. My designated headphones pocket holds other items, and I prefer my cargo pockets to not bulge.

I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for your input though.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 24
Mar 15, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 24

I looked at the Pelican 1010 (and others) and still too big for what I want.

I kinda pointed that out being due to making space for the padding on the bottom (and how you can use the cable to pad the earphone shells against the cover).

In any case, if you can do without any padding, see if you can work with this size case.
https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Full-Cigarette-Assorted-Colors/dp/B00478LXUW/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1489566790&sr=8-47&keywords=cigarette+case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back