IEM Dilemma!
Feb 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

eugen3

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I currently own a pair of um1s.

Am planning on upgrading to customs (namely ES1) coz i dont want keep spending money on comply tips (which give the best fit as my canals are uneven on both sides)

I cant justify spending 650USD on a pair of es2s

so i would like to know how the es1s fare against the um1/2s?

I listen mainly to rock, pop, jazz sometimes and i like heavy bass.

thanks!

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 17
tried them before, the bass is way too uncontrolled.

further more i'm looking for a custom
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 17
The $650 is easily justified for the ES2's, IMO. Don't know of anyone on Head-Fi who has the ES1's.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Hey I'm a student too! There's nothing wrong with saving up for ages for a pair of customs
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, the ES1 look great. I'm just slightly worried about the FR specs of 40Hz to 16kHz. A noticeable roll-off at 40Hz is not particular good if you value bass extension. Then again, a bass drum probably doesn't extend down to 40Hz so it shouldn't be a problem. If you like the sound of the UM1, is there any reason why you're not considering getting custom moulds? It's substantially cheaper and will rid you of having to buy the expensive Comply foamies.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 17
The custom molds are made of soft material.... just scared they won't last as long as the customs.

The um1s that i'm using now are not as bassy as i wanted them to be but when using the bass boost function on my DAP solves the problem.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm under the impression that you can also get acrylic custom moulds from Westone. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

Anyhow, the soft material is medical-grade silicone. It should last for a very long time. IMO, you're going to have to have them remoulded because of ear canal shape changes (2-4 years down the line) before the moulds themselves wear out.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 17
Actually, the custom tip is PVC? Think that's the same as the customs.
Pretty stiff and tough material, actually.

Oops: PVC != acrylic. They both still pretty tough compared to silicone though.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 17
In most pictures of custom tips with the UM1/2 and E500 I've seen, the whole combo is pretty low-profile, doesn't stick more than with any other tips.

You know, I see you're pretty inclined to the ES1
biggrin.gif

Perhaps despite the monetary concerns, you're dying to splurge and find out what the ES1 really sounds like
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 17
have you tried making custom DIY foamies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back