IEM Custom Ear Molds
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lowtech Trevor

Head-Fier
I’m curious how many Head-Fi (ers) have had customer ear molds made for their IEM’s? Do they seal better than foam or silicone tips?
I would also assume they are more comfortabe over the long term but again,would love to hear (pun intended) what you think.
Thanks for any feedback

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 5
I have had custom fit IEM's for many years and do not regret for one minute spending the coin for them. I used them a lot for business travel and commuting and never saw the need to carry noise cancelling units. They seal pretty tight and fit much better then any standards tips. No issues wearing them for long flights where I never removed them at all.

They are not completly noise cancelling so you do hear sounds and voices when muted which is convenient. With the volume up you can't really hear any ambient leakage.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 5
I moved to custom IEMs in early January. I have found that the comfort is a HUGE benefit. I was never able to find universal tips that fit my ears well for extended periods and the customs are wonderful. While they aren't noise cancelling, the isolation in mine is good enough that I seem to be listening to music at lower volumes. The process did take a while for me. I do not see myself returning to universal IEMs. Good luck with your journey.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Customs are certainly worth the money, there are two main issues with them.

1. Can take a few refits to get them perfect.
2. Resale is complicated as a re-shell will be required, therefore resale value is lower than the same IEM in universal fit.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 5
^ This. It is the perfect solution once you get the fit right, but it may take some shipping back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back