IEM Comparison: Westone UM1 UM2 vs Shure E2C E4 E500
May 3, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #16 of 35
I was thinking about trying the Westone UM2 but I can't really decide if I want to still go the IEM route anymore. It might just be more satisfying if I go with a portable closed option like the Sennheiser HD25-1. I can't seem to get used to the "in-the-head" feeling...

May 3, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried the E4's. When I tested the E4c's out I found them to be rather comfy.

I've had no troubles wearing any Shure, westone or Etymotics for long periods. I'm talking E3, 4, and 500, and UM2's.

May 3, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tambrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but, not everyone has an amp. Maybe the review should include with and without amp?

most people don't use amps. however, not amping some iem's don't do them any justice

May 3, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #19 of 35
the E4s are comfortable tho..... more so than my E2s.......
and the E500s are well worth my money =p
We cant really put comparisons up sometimes because of this is always bias and music we listen to is different. The UMs do have a strange shape nonetheless

May 3, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #20 of 35
I use the E4s daily for over a year now. The trick is to find a way of wearing them that suits you.
Me, I removed the tube above the y-connector, I put the y-connector behind me in my collar, so that the wires to the phones come out on the back to the left and the right. The phones themselves I wear with the wire down, not over the ears which I hate.
A comfortable fit, no microphonics, no tugging, no wire on the ears that itch or escape.
For tips I use the new shure black foams.

But I admit, sometimes I dream of an IEM with the comfort of Sony ex71s and the sound and durability of the E4s.

May 4, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure actually got help from Westone in designing the E500s (according to a Westone rep).

Your comment is completely inaccurate.

I know Doug at Westone and I doubt he would say that.

I led the design of E500/SE530 and I have never worked with Westone.

Shure and Westone worked together a number of years ago and two products came out of that, one of which was E5. So perhaps what you heard was in regard to E5.

All developments since around 2000 have been exclusive to each company, E500/SE530 included.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, so I apologize if I'm coming off that way.

May 6, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shure and Westone worked together a number of years ago and two products came out of that, one of which was E5. So perhaps what you heard was in regard to E5.

All developments since around 2000 have been exclusive to each company, E500/SE530 included.

Sorry for posting rumors rather than facts and persoonal opinion in a review. I believe you 100% that the E500 design/implementation did not involve anyone from Westone, but at the same time, I see similarities in the design. Actually, I would not see a problem with gathering data from other manufacturers to make the best headphones possible. I see this happening more and more with the involvement of reps on these forums.

While I did place/rate the Westones above the Shures, there's a large Shure crowd that stepped up to defend the E4 and E500. I believe this review is only intended only as an opinion. While I tested a few different genres of music, my amp/source setup is minimal compared to others on head-fi and any comments about SQ or comfort can also vary from person to person based on many factors.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just ran into this on Wikipedia:

"Westone is one of the world's largest manufacturers of custom fit earpieces. The Company's earpieces are used for hearing healthcare, recreation, industrial and military applications. Westone's core business is custom earpieces for hearing healthcare (i.e., used in conjunction with hearing aids), but it has significant market presence in the professional musician and audiophile market. Westone originally designed and manufactured the E1 and E5 for Shure, another maker of high-end audio equipment. Westone also co-developed and manufactured the early Ultimate Ears brand in-ear monitors."

So I stand corrected.. Westone was involved in the E5, not the E500.

May 5, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 35
Added UE10 Universal IEMs.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 35
Added Westone 3.. Sennheiser IE7s on the way
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Added UE10 Universal IEMs.

Just call them UE Triple.fi to avoid confusion.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comparison but... "too much detail causes sound to be fatiguing." I've never heard that one before.

x2...

Will you folks who have experience w/ the SE530's chime in on this? I would greatly appreciate everyone for doing so -- being that I am currently in the market for a new set. I mean, a LARGE reason as to why I have chosen the 530's is to AVOID ear fatigue when listening in for longer time periods. I was under the CLEAR impression that this here is indeed a feature that SHURE takes great pride in over all the rest.

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2...

Will you folks who have experience w/ the SE530's chime in on this? I would greatly appreciate everyone for doing so -- being that I am currently in the market for a new set. I mean, a LARGE reason as to why I have chosen the 530's is to AVOID ear fatigue when listening in for longer time periods. I was under the CLEAR impression that this here is indeed a feature that SHURE takes great pride in over all the rest.

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

What he's probably referring to is SE530's relative lack of refinement. When listening to well-produced music the glare and harshness in the upper mid/lower treble is tolerable, but with sharply, brightly produced music it can get quickly tiresome. But at the same time treble extension is lacking, and I feel the need to crank up the volume to hear all of the detail. Not a great combination. But keep in mind all IEM's have some faults but SE530 is really pretty decent with few shortcomings.

As far as the OP's descriptions....W3 very balanced??? I wouldn't agree one bit with that incredibly V-shaped response. E4 is the most balanced IEM on that list.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2...

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

ive never found the 530 to be fatuging in the slightest, could and indeed have listened the them for the entire day and never found it to be an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back