IEM comparable to full size?
Jul 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

knights

500+ Head-Fier
i just ordered my first HP-amp, ibasso d2... so, what is the best IEM that will synergize with d2 and is comparable (almost) to top-end full size cans (hd-650 for ex) in terms of SQ, soundstage, and deep-bass?

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 6
I got the triple fis hoping they would be better than the HD650. I was sooooo excited about the possibility but was also expecting just to much.

They are awesome, no doubt. And the bass in some songs is much better, in terms of detail than the one I could get fom the HD650 out of the Headstage lyrix, but that is it. The mids and highs are miles away from what you get in the HD650. That said, I must tell you they should beat with ease a pair of entry level cans like the HD555. Even with that said I cant justify the price and the reduction of comfort over my HD555 and that is why I am selling mine after two days. Maybe the real reason is that Im missing my HD650 sooooo much and will try the HD600 with the money i get from them
biggrin.gif

With all that said, the triple fis should sound as close to full size cans as possible. I mean, at some points it was hard to believe the sound was coming from those tiny things. I really felt it was coming from outside and that doesnt happen even with many full sized headphones. The sound is huge and heavy too. They are great and if I ever need a portable rig they will be my first choice.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Just trying to help-- do nothing more. I did an Advanced Search, searching on thread titles and entered "IEM full size" and came across two-three potentially robust threads.

Here is one of them --> IEM or Full Size
</div>

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 6
I try not to compare IEMs and full-size phones because they serve different purposes. For me, open headphones will always be better than IEMs, but there's no way I'll bring open headphones in the metro like there's no way I'll listen to the Etymotic over the Stax when I'm home.

With that said, having tried a couple of different IEMs, the ER4S is the only IEM that keeps me fully satisfied if only for the fact that they present more details than the best full-size phones and they do classical and jazz pretty well. I'd take a bigger soundstage and a little bit more bass, but you can't always get what you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies guys... i think im going for IEM if comprimses is just lil, i cant bring full size cans outdoor... so, triple fis are great paired with boa? any recommendation?

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I try not to compare IEMs and full-size phones because they serve different purposes. For me, open headphones will always be better than IEMs, but there's no way I'll bring open headphones in the metro like there's no way I'll listen to the Etymotic over the Stax when I'm home.

With that said, having tried a couple of different IEMs, the ER4S is the only IEM that keeps me fully satisfied if only for the fact that they present more details than the best full-size phones and they do classical and jazz pretty well. I'd take a bigger soundstage and a little bit more bass, but you can't always get what you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

IEMs have it all, I love to bits Ety's and the SE530's, what else is there? OK livewires, and, and, ok I'll look into it..

Kind regards

g_a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back