IEM cleaning tricks
May 9, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 22
This is probably a dumb question...but I"m not sure I understand what exactly you're submerging in water. I have the Shure E3's and I removed the foam ear pieces, but it seems like the rest of the body is secure. Does the nozzle detach? Also, my set is pretty old. I just cleaned out the nozzle with the tool and a really tiny piece of metal came out. What is it and am I screwed?

May 9, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alikabom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably a dumb question...but I"m not sure I understand what exactly you're submerging in water. I have the Shure E3's and I removed the foam ear pieces, but it seems like the rest of the body is secure. Does the nozzle detach? Also, my set is pretty old. I just cleaned out the nozzle with the tool and a really tiny piece of metal came out. What is it and am I screwed?

I also have an old pair of E3's. As far as I know these earphones do not have a detachable nozzle or replaceable filter.

As for the tiny piece of metal, I have no idea. Does it look like it can be put back? It's probably designed to keep earwax from entering the nozzle.

Rick

May 9, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have an old pair of E3's. As far as I know these earphones do not have a detachable nozzle or replaceable filter.

As for the tiny piece of metal, I have no idea. Does it look like it can be put back? It's probably designed to keep earwax from entering the nozzle.

Rick

Hey Rick,
I think your right...it seems like thats its purpose and nothing else. How do you clean yours? I feel like mine is clear...but there may be buildup deep in there. Also..I've noticed less of a 'punch' lately and even the volume being weaker in one ear over the other.

May 9, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alikabom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Rick,
I think your right...it seems like thats its purpose and nothing else. How do you clean yours? I feel like mine is clear...but there may be buildup deep in there. Also..I've noticed less of a 'punch' lately and even the volume being weaker in one ear over the other.

All I've ever cleaned are the tips and the outside of the stems. I just wipe the stems (nozzles) with a paper towel with rubbing alcohol. The tips I wash with mild dishwashing soap.

I haven't noticed any imbalance with mine, but then again I don't use them very much.

Rick

May 9, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 22
on the topic of ear health i just got back from an ear nose and throat doctor and he said that your should just leave your ears alone they clean themselves unless you have a ton of ear wax the ear candels work well or an ear washing system. the wax protects your ears from bacteria. and dont stick things in your ears like bobby pins. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back