IEM / CIEM Demo Suggestions for UK CanJam
Jul 10, 2022 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

miT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

After many years of faithful service, it is finally time treat my "golden ears" to an IEM / CIEM upgrade as my job now involves commuting on public transport so I can justify the expensive purchase.

I include CIEMs as I have custom ACS tips for my ER4Ps and the sound isolation and comfort is amazing, so I expect customs can also be a good option. And before you say it yes, the ER4 are not to everyone's taste but life now means I can no longer utilise speakers at home so travelling is now going to become my main listening time.

Demo locations are quite limited in the UK but I have tested a few models back-to-back in a retailer (from the Final B series to 64 Audio and Campfire Audio) and the U12T with MX modules are my current benchmark SQ, although I felt that the HF could be a tad more "sparkly" (think cymbals, not sibilance), but I want to be absolutely sure before I commit to such a large investment so I am booked in for CanJam this month to compare other models and finally make the purchase.

So far my plan is to revisit the U12T first to retune my ears, and then on to ThieAudio as I have heard good things about the Monarch ii.

Are there any other models at the show you recommend are worth a demo?

I am aiming for ToTL SQ so my budget is flexible, but I would rather spend less if I can as I have lots of other hobby upgrades planned for this year...

Thanks

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 16
Bring some full size closed headphones to wear over the iems for isolation when you demo.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 16
Also, I'm a fan of 64 Audio. But if they're there, Unique Melody and Empire Ears have some excellent options to try. The Odin was one of my favorites. I realize it's universal but just give it a try since you'll be there!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Also, I'm a fan of 64 Audio. But if they're there, Unique Melody and Empire Ears have some excellent options to try. The Odin was one of my favorites. I realize it's universal but just give it a try since you'll be there!
Nice. Which are your preferred 64 Audio IEMs? I tried the U6T, I think the Nio, and the U12. Do you know if the custom versions sound different? The HF looks to be slightly reduced in graphs...?

Empire Ears are on the list so I will check them out. Not sure about Unique Melody yet, but they keep adding more to the list so we shall see.

Just to clarify, I am not opposed to Universal IEMs, but I have experienced fit issues with some (e.g. Campfire Andromeda) hence demo'ing is so important.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 16
I like the U18S (more than the T), Nio, and U12. The 6 didn't do it for me. Unique Melody has a bunch, including the popular Mest and Mext. I didn't care for the Mext.

Of everything I listened to, I spent the most time with 64 Audio and Dunu.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 16
I like the U18S (more than the T), Nio, and U12. The 6 didn't do it for me. Unique Melody has a bunch, including the popular Mest and Mext. I didn't care for the Mext.

Of everything I listened to, I spent the most time with 64 Audio and Dunu.
I felt the same about the 6, but did not try above the U12 so I am looking forward to comparing.

Hoping to demo all the recommendations at the show...

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 16
Don't miss out on the MEST and the MEST MK II!

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 16
Don't miss out on the MEST and the MEST MK II!
Thanks, I have added to the list.

Do you know if Unique Melody will be at the show? Or perhaps some models from a retailer who will be there?

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks, I have added to the list.

Do you know if Unique Melody will be at the show? Or perhaps some models from a retailer who will be there?

I believe one of their retailers will be there.

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 16
From going through the list of Exhibitors, I can work out models from the main brands to try, but not so sure about the less available brands (in the UK) who will be there via retailers, hence I have asked for suggestions to try on the day.

Any other recommendations to add to my demo list?

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 16
Did you try UM Indigo and QDC Tiger? I listened to those at Chicago Canjam and they were really good.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 16
I also listened to most 64 iems and still prefer the Fourte. Nio is also fun.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Did you try UM Indigo and QDC Tiger? I listened to those at Chicago Canjam and they were really good.
In typical UK fashion, we have far more limited choices than your good selves, so neither Unique Melody or QDC were represented at CanJam. Was still good though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back