IEM / Canals for Electronic (on Cowon D2)
Jun 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
Could you help me choose an earphone for use with electronica?

I've identified JVC HA FX500, Klipsch Image X5 / 10, Head-Direct RE0, which can be worn straight down rather than 'over the ear' which I'd rather not have. I don't know why, but don't find that comfortable with my glasses. Can the Audio Technica CK10 be worn straight down?

I'm currently using Audio Technica CKM70 with my new Cowon D2, which are great with jazz and rock imo, but don't deliver the bass I would like, and perhaps toooo bright, although treble is important, with electronica such as Underworld, Bent, Astralasia, Kraftwerk, Leftfield, Massive Attack, Chicane, Derrick May, Prodigy et el...

Budget up to $300 or thereabouts.

I've previously used SA6 which I found quite good but maybe too warm for me I'm afraid and lacking a little bass. I liked the ETYs ER4S and P but again the bass didn't do it for me for electronica.

Does anybody recommend any of those I've mentioned or are there any I've missed that will get my toes tapping to electronica?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 5
I just checked out the Sennheiser IE8, and they cost 453,000 won here in Korea, quite a bit out of my price range. But if they are worth it, I'd save a little longer. How much better is it than the others that I have mentioned? I could get the Image models at a reasonable price, cheaper than the IE8. Audio Technica models are well priced comparatively too.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 5
i could recommend the audio technica ck10 which i used with the d2. its higher impedence means that the bass rolloff of the d2 will not be so pronounced, but they are not heavy bass machines.

i listen to about 80-90% trance and electronic so perhaps we have similar views. i also live in korea! mini headfi meet?

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Hiya, I'm in Busan, so if you are in town I'd be up for a mini-HiFi meet.

I'm seriously looking at the CK10.

Mind you, I went to the Shinsegae department store, and the Apple store yesterday and demo'd a few pairs of earphones. I liked the Klipsch Custom 3, which sounded great, but had a little difficulty getting a good fit. The Klipsch Image x series were much easier to get into my ears. So, I may go for the Image, which were so easy to fit, and isolated well, that they may be great of everyday bus and subway trips around Busan.

I'm also looking at the Panasonic HJE900 which have been compared favourably against the IM716, which I have previously owned in addition to the ER4P and S. I may sell off some of my earphones to pay for two pairs. The HJE900 seemed reasonably priced on enuri.com

Decisions, decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back