IEM/Canalphone with the largest soundstage
Nov 8, 2007 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

msdespondent

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I need a recommendation for a IEM/Canalphone with a large soundstage. I love the soundstage representation of Bose's Noise Canceling headsets. But, I don't like how large and bulky they are. And IEMs isolate noise with the compromise of sounding in-your-head.

I've read about V-moda vibes having an airy sound, coming close to what closed cans sound like. Does anyone second that?

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 17
try UE Tripple Fi 10
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 17
agreed you should try the UE Tripple Fi 10

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 17
I'd have to vote for Livewires. I had some triple.fi's which were fantastic, but got stolen, and then tried to replace them with some E500s, and found them too congested and bassy. I then ordered Livewires and they are exactly what the doctor ordered. The soundstage, and maybe a little more of the triple.fi, slightly more fun, with tons of accuracy, and all for less than you can find the triple.fi's for, usually even used.

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 17
shure e500 and triple fi 10 both rank high with soundstage. the e500 are far from congested but do offer more bass inpact, triple fi offers even bass with nice highs but slightly laid back mids...but as mentioned, both have a reasonably good soundstage for iem's

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 17
In terms of the e500s, the quality of the soundstage really depends on the type of music you listen to. If you want the soundstage for classical, the e500s will not be acceptable because they don't have enough detail or instrument seperation in the high frequencies. For rock or jazz, however, the soundstage is excellent.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the triple fi 10s but the Super.fi 3s and 5s both have the most sound stage I have heard out of any of the IEMs I have owned which included e500s, im716s, and UM2s.

This makes me sad. My super.fi 3's are the only IEM I've heard, but I wouldn't write home about their soundstage. Perhaps it's unfair to expect an IEM to compete with the sounstage of larger, outside the head, headphones.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sHaRkKaE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you'll like to try the UM1? Paired with the right amp, the sound stage sure widens up

I'm basically only using IEM's on the subway, and hence not wanting to carry an amp. How would the UM1's sound driven straight from an i7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back