IEM/Canal Recommendations needed
Jun 11, 2008 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sapic

New Head-Fier
I currently have Sony EX71s. They are pretty old, at least a couple years. I lost the extension cable, so I figured I'd see what else is out there these days rather than spend money on fixing these old ones.

I've narrowed it down to primarily AH-C551 ($74), ATH-CK7 ($74), RE2 ($80), and HJE70 ($75).

I listen to a lot of rock (punk/alternative/indie), some popular examples being Radiohead, Nirvana, Green Day, and some electronic (M83, Ladytron, etc). Bass is not incredibly important to what I mostly listen to but I still would like some decent bass for when I listen to something like Nine Inch Nails or Portishead. What's probably most important is guitar and drums.

I like a punchy, strong attack sound. This is probably "wrong," but my EQ for in the car is "loud" setting, treble 5/5, bass 3 or 4/5. Currently I have an iAudio M3 and I use the rock EQ or custom and in the "V" shape. I use the different iAudio enhancements like 1-3 for bass boost, 1-2 mp3enhance or whatever they call it. I assume that makes my preferences slightly different than the average "audiophile." Hopefully that helps describe the sound I'm looking for. Clear, sharp, powerful.

The EX70s do a fairly good job, but I don't have anything very good to compare to. The main weakness is that they can sound a bit hollow. In songs where the drums should be up front and snappy, it sometimes sounds distant. I had to mess with the M3 settings for a while to get a better sound.

Some notes:
I actually like the J cord on my Sonys, but I'm open to wearing the wire in the back if this is the most similar configuration.

I also like the extension cord on my Sonys (probably because of my M3).

I'll be using these on the bus and I don't want to disturb anyone, so do any of these do a better job than any other at keeping sound IN? And I'm not that worried about isolation (the Sonys have plenty for me and I assume they're not considered great isolators).

I'll be using these when running, too, so I need something that wont fall out too easily. The Sonys work fine for this.

On the flip side, I'd like to be able to pop them in and take them out easily. I'd also like the option of wrapping them around the back of my ear to minimize microphonics. Again, though, I'm sure the Sonys are not known for their great microphonics but I'm mostly satisfied with them here.

I ruled out similar UE and Denon IEMs because they stick out too far. I'd like a discreet look. I also ruled out the iM716s for this reason as well. I sometimes also sleep with my headphones on.

I'll probably never use a headphone amp.

From what I've read, the RE2s would be best (plus I'm somehow attracted to the idea of getting quality headphones from China in a dragon box at a discounted price). I haven't heard anything about build quality, though, and that's the main reason I ruled out the MylarOnes.

The Panasonics seem ideal (J cord w/extension, supposedly good sound, nifty rubber pads that join them together) but they seem heavy and I don't like the idea of the added metal where the cord attaches.

So my questions are:
Based on what I'm looking for, what would you suggest? Either from the four I listed or something else.

Do you think any of these are a worthwhile upgrade from the Sonys? I've seen glowing reviews of the Sonys but they seem to be generally looked down upon in forums like these.

One thing missing from the pictures and reviews for many of these is how can they be worn? Wrapped over the ear, normal way, in front, behind?

Sorry for the LONG post, but since I don't have a lot of money, this will be a somewhat major purchase that will need to last a few years and I don't have the time or money to try these out myself. Thanks in advance!

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Coming from the EX70, I think the ATH-CK7 will be too different unless you really want something more analytical with de emphasis in bass. They are practically opposites (if I remember what a ex70 sounds like).

Also, the ATH-CK7 falls out of my ears if I am walking or moving about quickly. However, results will vary depending on shape of ear canals.

I suggest trying re2. From what reviews I have read, it seems to suit your audio needs.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the feedback!

On the RE2s, does anyone know how much sound it lets out?

Also, the first thing that came to mind when I saw that silver grill on the back was "black electrical tape." That's probably a stupid idea but would say electrical tape with holes that are slightly smaller than the original holes keep more sound IN while also taking away from the flashiness?

Does anyone know if you get the case with them? Some posts indicate no, others yes.

Any word on the microphonics?

Lastly, do you think these are a worthile, significant upgrade to the MDR-EX71s? (When I first posted this I accidentally put EX70s)

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 15
i will for me, god n william from bravehart recommend crossroad mylee x3i cause they sound fantastic with my iriver t60. I have had shure e2c, nr 3 and 10 other iems like sharps m33? Forgott the model but whatever u all know. Senns cx300 n the list go on but the sound from mylee's x3 is just topnotch for the money. They just keeping better to. Havent burned them in yet. Great clarity with tight bass n really good soundstage. Think about it. gl & hf. Dont forgett to use them in your ear. They are smaller in size then most other iems, very comfy, u can lay in bed n let the lady talk about all crap nonsens while u listen to your music in peace, may the djungelfralla be with you. You can get then from Jaben Network

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the reply, d0e, but I've already ruled those out for the build quality problems. These headphones will be my primary ones for a few years, hopefully, so I need something durable.

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 15
I owned the EX71s before too. I also ruled out Mylars due to its suspicious build quality. Now i'm using a pair of RE2, and yes it is definitely a huge leap from the Sonys.

RE2s have very gd soundstaging and instrument separation compared to your EX71s, and also sound much more refined and natural. However their emphasis seems to be more on the mids (i'd say its extreme highs and lows are somewhat lacking), which are not exactly suitable for your V-shaped EQing preferences. You won't be getting the "strong sharp attack" sound you're looking for; instead the RE2's signature is probably better described as classy, sexy, smooth, refined.

I don't know about your other choices, but C551 might be your best bet considering your sound preferences. That's IMO though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback!

On the RE2s, does anyone know how much sound it lets out?

Also, the first thing that came to mind when I saw that silver grill on the back was "black electrical tape." That's probably a stupid idea but would say electrical tape with holes that are slightly smaller than the original holes keep more sound IN while also taking away from the flashiness?

Does anyone know if you get the case with them? Some posts indicate no, others yes.

Any word on the microphonics?

Lastly, do you think these are a worthile, significant upgrade to the MDR-EX71s? (When I first posted this I accidentally put EX70s)

Despite its grill holes the RE2 doesn't leak much sound... Yes i think they look ugly too
rolleyes.gif

I did receive a brown, leathery-looking case, if that's what you're worried about...

Microphonics are slightly present but it's not a very noticeable issue, probably same as or less than the EX71's.
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Very helpful feedback, thank you!

How do you think the RE2s handle EQing? Say with an M3 (what I have now) or a D2 (what I plan to get). Their default sound may not be to my liking but I know the Cowon players have great sound themselves plus great EQ and sound processing abilities.

I will look more closely at the 551's, now though.

And don't worry, this thread can't go on too long, I only have until the 15th to decide!

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 15
So after a bit more reading, my biggest question might be: is the RE2 bass better than the EX71s? Because in another thread someone compared the bass on the RE2s to Etymotics, which I read had very little bass.

I certainly don't want to go down a notch in bass from my current headphones. To me, the bass on the EX71s is passable but more might be better, unless it overwhelms the sound.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 15
I actually use my RE2 with +1 bass boost and +1 treble boost on my Meizu M6 player, and also have tried monkeying around with the EQ with the same goal in mind, and (to me, at least) it gives a great sound - music comes out detailed and refined, with just sufficient punch in the bass and treble to make bass-heavy music like Rihanna sound good.

However as mentioned earlier, tracks that need bass quantity (eg hip-hop, heavy metal) will not sound *great* with RE2, as even after boosting the low freqs by a notch or two they do not quite punch out as much bass as the EX71. So while RE2's bass is certainly present but quantity-wise, it is much, much leaner compared to the EX71. However comparing the overall fidelity of these two canalphones, RE2 is miles ahead in the audiophile race while EX71 is very muddy with overemphasis in its bass.

The 551 has received accolades for its rich, layered bass while supposedly sounding pretty good throughout the rest of the spectrum. It might be just your thing unless you're looking for a change in taste to something more musical, more refined, or may i say, more "audiophile", where the RE2 comes in and takes the crown in the sub-$100 category. Decisions are tough aren't they?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 15
Well, I decided to give the RE2s a try. They seem like a different class of headphone based on what everyone has said. So my curiosity got me.

Plus the group buy ends today and 50% of the profits benefit the earthquake recovery in China.

And if I don't like the RE2s the C551s will, I assume, be readily available for some time. Maybe they'll get cheaper?

Thanks for your help everyone! Would it be helpful if I gave some feedback once I got them? And would it be appropriate in this thread or a new one?

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 15
No problems with the build quality of mylar crossroads. They have fixed it. Great sound for the money and good comfort. The sony have good comfort and i u aint to picky bout the "sound" HIFI tjey are good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back