IEM cable wiring question
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fat Larry

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for a cable with a mic or answer my question rewiring up a new cable?

I want to make an iem cable with a mic, i want to use decent wire and i don't want the mic to interfere with the signal to the the drivers, so i don't want it "inline". That said i actually don't know how a standard iem cable with mic is wired anyway...

So can i have a six wire cable with negative and positive wires for each connection? IE: Two for each mmcx/bud connection and two for the mic? I realise it won't be physicaly even but i don't mind.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you. I have figured out my real question after a couple of days. Does having the mic affect the overall signal quality of the cable? In that all circuits are sharing the same ground is there any... dunno how to put it, cross talk or something? I notice that not many high end cables include an inline mic, but what i was thinking to do is use some 24awg up occ wires for the buds and something thinner and less expensive for the mic.

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you. I have figured out my real question after a couple of days. Does having the mic affect the overall signal quality of the cable? In that all circuits are sharing the same ground is there any... dunno how to put it, cross talk or something? I notice that not many high end cables include an inline mic, but what i was thinking to do is use some 24awg up occ wires for the buds and something thinner and less expensive for the mic.
Crosstalk at such low frequencies will be pretty much non existent. I think that mics aren't included in "audiophile" cables as they are just not needed in such applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back