IEM cable microphonics
Jan 15, 2007 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gladcow

Head-Fier
Ok so i recently returned my px100s because circuit city is a ripoff at $70 each and i decided id be better off buying some iem's for my ipod. since school is starting up again portability is key, being able to wind the cable around the ipod and throw it in my pocket/backpack is important. I tried out a pair of cx300s recently (i know they arent quite iems) and what shocked me was how sensitive the cable was. i felt like i couldnt breath because my chest making slight contact with the cord made unbearable sounds. since im going to be doing a lot of moving around with them, theres no way ill be able to bear that much cable noise. i was looking at for possibilities, e4c, er-4p, or maybe even a vibe. (looking at buying a vibe for my brothers birthdsay in early april so im edging towards the other two) anyone care to share their opinions about the cables of these phones.

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 18
I have the ER4P and it's really not that bad. the only part obviously that you can actually hear things is where the cord driver connects to the y splitter if you know what I mean. The braided part is what I'm talking about. Anyways it should be fine I move around all the time in mine and it doesn't bother me.
etysmile.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 18
Vibe does not seem to have cable microphonics from my experience (I bike on regular basis, also indoor rock climbing), only the buds themselves in strong wind can sound like an wind-trap. (gets worse with ety-like tri-flanges).
I do not know about ety's themselves, but essentially identical im716 have issues with the cable being noisy too.

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 18
I use E4 and ER4. If you wear the E4 as intended(cable over ear) there is very little to no microphonics from my experience. Wearing the ER4 normally(not over ear) there is noticable microphonics although this can be greatly reduced to acceptable levels simply by routing the cable under your shirt. This is my strategy. You can also wear the ER4 similar to the E4 but I prefer not to.

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...If you wear the E4 as intended(cable over ear) there is very little to no microphonics from my experience...

i find this to be key towards minimizing to eliminating microphonics - wearing the cord behind the ear. i was wearing my jbl 220s hanging straight down - tons of microphonics. just the cord brushing against my sweatshirt was really loud. while the music was still playing and not taking out the ear pieces, i rotated the cord up and over my ears. microphonics went bye bye. i even rubbed the cord against my zipper and i couldn't hear anything. total night and day effect. i tried this with my v-moda vibes - same thing.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 18
I have the Westone UM1's and the only time I've ever noticed microphonics is when I use them out of my tube amp. I use them straight out of an iPod or my pa2v2 and I don't notice a thing.

I don't understand why tubes would increase microphonics, but whatever.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 18
Although you haven't mentioned these, the UM1's have the least microphonics I've ever (not) heard in an IEM. None at all. I imagine the UM2's would be the same. I have experience with MD33S's, iM716's, UM1's, and Super.fi 5pro's.

In terms of microphonics:
UM1>>Super.fi 5pro>>>>>>MD33S>iM716

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Westone UM1's and the only time I've ever noticed microphonics is when I use them out of my tube amp. I use them straight out of an iPod or my pa2v2 and I don't notice a thing.

I don't understand why tubes would increase microphonics, but whatever.

I also use the UM1 with the cord in front of me - no cable microphonics at all. I love em
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the ER4 you have to pretty much use the shirt clip.

I tried the clip, but it didn't work for me. Clipping to my collar felt weird, and there was really nowhere else to clip it.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 18
The CX-300 is by far the worst of all the IEMs I've tried in terms of microphonics. The UM2 are amazing, so I'm guessing the UM1 would be too. Here's my ranking:

Westone UM2
Sony MDR-EX71SL
UE super.fi 5 Pro
Sennheiser CX-300

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the clip, but it didn't work for me. Clipping to my collar felt weird, and there was really nowhere else to clip it.

Clip it on your shirt. Grap a spot on your shirt... make it flat, and clip it.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 18
I wear most of my IEMs with cable over ear, except the ER4's. From my experience the Westone's are the best.

My ranking would be like this:

UM2 (zero microphonics!)
E4 / E3 (they are not too bad but the cable is heavier and stiffer so when rubbing the cable I could still hear the sound)
ER4P (thanks to the braided cord but still not as good as the ones that go over ear)
ER4S (horrible! even with the clip it doesnt eliminate the microphonics)

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 18
thanks for your guys responses. its good to hear that everyone agrees that the cx300 has bad microphonics. because if im going to be spending almost twice the price for better iems id like to now that it wont be a problem. i noticed that the best buy near me just recently started stocking shures. im not sure how over priced they are there, but maybe i can spend the extra money and try out a pair of e4's. then if i dont like them (or if i do) then you gotta love retail store's return policies.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back