IEM battle: Etymotic ER-4PT or Logitech UE 900 or HIFIMAN RE-600 vs (admitted a grail IEM) Westone W60
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ImperialBlade

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

The "Ask" (i.e. I need your collected experience)

I have an interesting ask of  the Head-Fi'ers today, I need to replace my aging Westone UM1's after realizing a cheap pair of $30 Xiaomi V2.1 If Commemorative Limited Edition Pistons sound nearly as good. I bought the Xiaomi as a "knock around" / gym IEM only to have it sound as well as it does. That brings me to the question at hand, I need to upgrade my Westone UM1's. 

Equipment:

I will be using either my late 2013 iMac or OnePlue One to a Cayin C5 AMP/DAC. Music will either be streamed or from storage (around 20,000 sounds) with a bitrate of a minimum of 320kbps. I am in the process of converting my collection to FLAC.

Sonic preference:

I like a natural and balance sound that is clear. I also want to make sure this is not "sterile" or "dry" sounding, as I want to have the presence and impact of the low end (bass and sub-bass). I am not a recording artist (nor pretend to be). I want non-fatiguing, well rounded sound that envelops you and make you say "WOW" when you hear the music. 

Additional background:

I have plans to purchase a  HIFIMAN HE-560 and an Oppo HA-1 AMP/DAC as soon as my wife gives me a green light. Yes, she gave me a rather unforgiving look when I told her the all in price of what I wanted to purchase. I mention this as the HE-560 sound is what I love.

The contenders:

Etymotic ER-4PT
Logitech UE 900
HIFIMAN RE-600
(please mention any other I may have missed!)

Benchmark (or IMHO grail IEM):

Westone W60

Sincerely,
Eric

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Look at the Dunu DN-900, DN-1000, DN-2000 - hybrid drivers will give you the best of both worlds. The DN-2000 is freshest in my memory and it has a lovely lushness, it's not dry in the slightest.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi all, I am the same process decision as ImperialBlade but with additional details. Let me explain them and I hope for your recommendation asI need help to finish my decision.

I am getting rid of of big and bulky noise canceling full size Senn PXC450 when traveling weekly by high speed train or airplane with an average duration of 2 hours.

I am looking for best balance in 5 areas:
- comfort (my ears are very sensitive using small and medium tips)
- noise isolation
- sound quality (new IEMs will be connected to Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 FLAC 24/96 mainly)
- music 70% rock (classic and progressive), 30% jazz guitar
- Price range $200-400

By now options are
- HiFiMAN RE-600
- Aurisomcs Rockets
- Etymotics ER4-PT/ER4S
- Logitech UE 900
(in near feature I will have and iFi micro iDSD o Centrance M8),

Which one of these 3 do you recommend? Thanks a lot
Please indicate other models of other brands.

Regards,
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back