IEM Bang for buck
Aug 30, 2007 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Tone Def

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I've slowly been putting together a halfway decent portable rig and the next step entails the acquisition of a shiny new pair of IEM's.
etysmile.gif

After reading reviews around here I've got my heart set on a pair of Etymotic ER4S'. Thing is tho, that these will always play second fiddle to my 595's so the cost of the ety's is a bit prohibitive. My question is, taking into consideration that SQ is moderately important, are the ER4S' overkill for work, jogging, gym etc. and if so, suggestions as to what I should be looking at would be most welcome.

Also note that since I'm in South Africa, testing different models is a bit awkward.

Thanks

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 43
IEMs are pretty horrible when it comes to bang-for-buck in terms of SQ. What they are best for is when you need isolation (i.e. library, plane, loud environments).

If you don't need isolation I would recommend the KSC 75 or an earbud (pk1, pk2, pk3, mx400, mx500, etc). They are cheaper and have better sound quality per buck than IEMs.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 43
Marshmallows with the Kramer Mod for like $25 and they're really great!

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 43
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Seems like I'm gonna get me a pair of ER-6i's based on the comments here and on this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...highlight=er6i

I can source them locally which eliminate that dreadful wait associated with shipping. Just another quick question. Do they benefit greatly from being amped?

Sorry if these seem a bit basic, I'm a noob.

Thanks

Aug 31, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 43
ER4 has some pretty bad cable noise, so it's not the best choice if you move around alot.
Dunno if ER6i is the same as I have not heard them, but the cable looks very thin also and prolly suffers from the same problems as ER4.

But if you were going to buy them anyway, I'd try to get them from the for sale boards, I've seen some ER4P's go for as low as 120-130 USD or so (and hopefully they'll ship to your country).

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 43
ER-6i's also suffer from cable noise. I have not compared them to the ER-4 but I seem to remember several posters saying the noise was not as bad. I usually loop the cords over my ears which reduces the cable noise quite a bit.

As I understand it, the ER-6i was designed to not need an amp. That said, most phones do benefit from amping.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

But if you were going to buy them anyway, I'd try to get them from the for sale boards, I've seen some ER4P's go for as low as 120-130 USD or so (and hopefully they'll ship to your country).

Um problem is in my country things have a habit of getting "lost" in the mail. Its happened to me on two occasions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 43
I think you would like some E2c's (used=$50). Well built IEMs, great entry level, highs are known to roll off w/not great extension, but very dynamic and you can't beat thier performance for the money.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 43
Mr nickknutson sir, thank you! That was exactly the info I was looking for. The marshmellows are about a quarter of the price of the ety's and from reading reviews around here, people are quite impressed by them.

I'm changing my mind again...

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the JVC Marshmallows...they're a $15 version of E500's. You can't go wrong.

OMG, you didn't say that did you?
confused.gif
frown.gif
eek.gif
plainface.gif
With all due respect, I totally disagree!

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have a link to how to do the kramer mod on the marshmallows.

I don't have a link handy, but it seems to be pretty simple. In a nutshell, all you do is remove the wax paper filter on the nozzle, then cut out a small piece of foam to put back in the nozzle. You can adjust the level of the highs by adding different amounts of foam.

I may end up getting a pair of these myself since my Livewires are taking so long to get back to me.

edit: Link to the mod.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back