IEM and headphone amplifier mismatch?
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

imeem

100+ Head-Fier
I want to plug in my M6 Pros into my av receiver so i can use it as a dac/amp and have a better surround sound gaming experience vs. plugging into my pc. However i notice that it is very quiet even when i crack up the volume. It's like no change in volume and I'm afraid that i'm breaking my IEMs doing so. I tested with other headphones and my Westone um pro 30 and they don't behave this way.

Specs for my M6 Pros

impedance16 Ohms at 1K
sensitivity100±3 dB (1mW at 1KHZ)

maximum power input30mW

headphone out impedance of the receiver

1 kHz, 50 mV, 8 ohms all the way to 100mV/470 ohms

specs of others that work fine with the receiver

westone um pro 30:

[color=rgba(14, 14, 14, 0.701961)]sensitivity: 124 dB SPL @ 1 mW.[/color]
[color=rgba(14, 14, 14, 0.701961)]impedance : 56 ohms[/color]

[color=rgba(14, 14, 14, 0.701961)]Sony MDR-XD100:[/color]

Impedance: 70 ohms
Sensitivity (db): 100 dB/mW
Power Handling Capacity: 1,500mW (IEC)

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 5
The first thing that lept out at me is that the output impedance is way high. Generally you want to have an output impedance that is 1/8 of your headphone impedance. It also may be receiving too much power, although I am unsure what effect that would have on them. I would refrain from using that particular receiver for those headphones until someone with much more knowledge than me comes behind me and corrects me and solves the problem. :wink:

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Most AVR's are not good for headphones unless they are high impedance mostly 300 or greater . You are going to get better sound out of your computer for those.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 5
All the receivers I've measured have had a 120Ohm output impedance. With your 16Ohm IEMs, that would mean only 12% of the power the receiver is generating is actually making it to the headphone, the other 88% is dissipated inside the receiver. It's not going to damage the IEMs

1 kHz, 50 mV, 8 ohms all the way to 100mV/470 ohms

This means that using an 8Ohm headphone, the receiver can deliver 50mV to the headphone. Using Ohms law to convert that to power, it's 3mW. Into 16Ohms it would probably be a bit more, but definitely no more than double, so it's going to be at most ~6mW, far less than your IEMs max power input of 30mW. You're much better off plugging onto your PC.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 5
The first thing that lept out at me is that the output impedance is way high. Generally you want to have an output impedance that is 1/8 of your headphone impedance. It also may be receiving too much power, although I am unsure what effect that would have on them. I would refrain from using that particular receiver for those headphones until someone with much more knowledge than me comes behind me and corrects me and solves the problem.
wink.gif

can i assume that the reaosn my m6 pros r behaving like this is because the ohms are alot lower than my Westones and Sony?
Most AVR's are not good for headphones unless they are high impedance mostly 300 or greater . You are going to get better sound out of your computer for those.

All the receivers I've measured have had a 120Ohm output impedance. With your 16Ohm IEMs, that would mean only 12% of the power the receiver is generating is actually making it to the headphone, the other 88% is dissipated inside the receiver. It's not going to damage the IEMs

This means that using an 8Ohm headphone, the receiver can deliver 50mV to the headphone. Using Ohms law to convert that to power, it's 3mW. Into 16Ohms it would probably be a bit more, but definitely no more than double, so it's going to be at most ~6mW, far less than your IEMs max power input of 30mW. You're much better off plugging onto your PC.

Thanks. my receiver handles surround sound better than my onboard dac. Maybe i can do a line out from the receiver dac ---> line in to Fiio E17 headphone amp so i can bypass the headphone amp on the receiver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back