IEM alternative to Metri.Fi
Jun 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DanTheDane

New Head-Fier
Hi.

First of all, what a great forum! I have already read a lot of posts around here, and learning :)

I just purchased the Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 220vi for my iPhone.

I was surprised how boomy they are. Sounds almost like someone boosted a subwoofer agressively. I have made a 24 hour burn-in with no difference in the bass. 
So I'm now going to return these. It annoys me a little because they are actually have an ok comfort. I like that they are kind of shallow into the ear. I have pretty small ear canal and the small silicone fittings where good for my ears.
Also liked that they don't isolate to much compared to e.g. the Etymotics ER-4.

I'm looking for some other IEM's in the same price range (around 100$) with built-in mic and button.
I would like to find a set that is more balanced in the sound. I don't need a fake bass boost. In the past I had a set of Etymotic ER-4s. They where just a little bit to bass thin for me, and the comfort wasn't that good. They seemed to make to much of a vacuum and went to deep into the ear. 

I have been looking at the Maximo iP-HS5, which doesn't seem to be as bass heavy as the Metro.Fi's, although people are talking about microphonics being an issue. Is it much worse than on the Metro.Fi's? They seem to suffer pretty bad from microphonics as well.
I can only find american dealers on the Maximo's so I would hate to get them and don't like them (live in Denmark - Europe)

Are there other alternatives you can recommend taking the above into consideration (no fake bass boost, small ears) ?

Hope you can help me getting in the right direction :)

Dan.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 8
UE Super Fi series are something to consider too, imho. Those are not boomy at all (except 5eb) and you can not only hear the music, but the acoustics of the room in where it was recorded.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks alot for your suggestions.

I'm a little worried about the style specific thing from Radiopaq. It seems like they are acoustically eq'ed to suit the different styles better. And I definetly don't like that approach.
They don't need to be completely flat like the Etymotics, but I just don't like that cheap marketing like bass boost that so many in-ears suffer from.

The Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5vi looks pretty interesting. I really just don't hope they the same boost as the Metro.Fi's.

I'm also considering the Phonak PFE's. But I'm a little concerned they are too much like the etymotics soundwise (thin bass)....

Style wise I'm listening mostly to rhythmic music (pop, rock, eletronica hip hop etc.) 

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 8
That's probably correct.

I ended up purchasing the Phonaks.  They seem to be the best option for what I'm seeking.

But once again thanks for the suggestions from both of you! 

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Get the Fi.4s  believe me, you wont have to worry abourt too much bloated bass at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back