IEM advice
Jul 14, 2009 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I am ready to purchase a set of IEM's. I need some advice of what you think would suit my needs better. I have some 701's and love the high-end, but dislike the low-end. I am using a low-end headsix amp but really am not a big fan of headphones as much as my IEM's and don't want to spend $$$ on a desktop amp. I have some Etymotic Research 6i and prefer them to the 701's. I like high highs and low lows. I am looking at the JH Audio brand and wonder if the JH|5pro would be a good place to start? I want something like the 6i but with a better low-end. If I got the 5pro's, would I just wanna turn around and get the 13pro's?

My source is a Marantz CD5001 and I will sell my 701's & Headsix for a Pico amp/dac. I listen to everything. Rap, bluegrass, country, techno, pop, rock, classical, and everything else in-between. Money is always an issue but will be willing to spend if there is a HUGE difference.

Thank you all.

P.S. I'm in Nashville TN and do not know anyone around that has gear I can audition.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, I like the $399 price tag. I just wonder if it would be that great of a leap over the 6i's. I really can't see myself spending $1100 on the pro 13 without hearing them. Maybe in the future.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 6
They would definitely be a giant upgrade, although I'm not familiar with the SQ on them, or any other customs for that matter.

PFE's would probably be a good upgrade at a small cost, although I'm a bit hesitant to recommend due to build quality which needs some improvement.

I can't think of anything that would have similar highs and improve the bass. Some people might recommend the JVC FX-500's which supposedly have the best sub bass among IEMS as well as pretty hot treble.

TF10's, W3's are both probably a bit too bassy for what you're looking for, and the SE530's do not have high highs. UM3X is very detail oriented but much warmer than the ER6i and while the treble is very detailed it is not splashy as you'd probably like.

Maybe look into the RE0's, but I think those are known for not having much bass either.

If you don't mind carrying a portable amp around that might be a good option to fix the bass deficiency of the er6i's or a better phone which is lacking bass quantity. You can find some pretty small ones.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for the reply.

I wonder if there would be much difference between the Pico and Headsix. As much as I would love to get the JH-13 pro, I think it would be too selfish of myself spending that kind of money for only me to enjoy. I might just get me some 5 pros for $399+molds and get some Aperion towers to go with the Pioneer Kuro that the whole family can enjoy!

I might just wait and see how the reviews go on the 5's.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 6
IE8 could be your can, given enough time (How much time is enough? YMMV)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back