IEM Advice
Oct 9, 2008 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

James_Rhoads

New Head-Fier
Hi all, after using the sennheiser CX300 for the last 3 years as my portable headphones of choice i'm looking to upgrade. My 5th pair of CX300s bit the dust last night and i'm decided to try a differant phone and hopefully not have any trouble with em. (I had one pair of CX300s stolen, one got ripped in half and the other 3 have all lost sound in one ear after about 6 - 8 months.) I was simply going to buy another pair of CX300's but decided I'd like to try something else.

At the moment i'm using either an iRiver 320 or an ipod shuffle (which i got free at work and has been getting a lot of use as it's so damn handy and i dont care i lose it etc.) Right now i'm listening to it via my roomates pair of etymotic hf2's and i must say i'm very impressed, great sound isolation and a great sound. I listen to all types of music but when i'm on the move its always rock and metal, ranging from blues and classic rock all the way up to death metal and including everything in between!

I would also be using the phones in my room or in the library etc. when i want some peace and quiet and some good music, i usually listen to classical or jazz when i;m trying to study or work on a project.

Due to my love of my roomates hf2s i was thinking of maybe getting something by Etymotic but i'm really not sure and would appreciate advice. I'm not sure of my budget yet, but anything under 150 euro would be fine. I'm in Ireland so also would be interested to know of the best websites etc. to buy headphones from.

To summarize I'm looking for an IEM which will be used to both listen to rock/metal and jazz/classical so flexibility is a must. I would like them to be durable if possible, provide excellent isolation and cost 150 euro or less. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
jecklinsmile.gif

James

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 9
If you liked the hf2's a lot, go for the er4p's for portable use. The other option (pushing your price but very good value) would be the sleekaudio sa6 - it is probably the most flexible phone out right now.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 9
I happen to have both the iRiver H320 and the iPod Shuffle and just ordered the Westone UM1s ($109 US) + Fiio E3 amp to replace my Shure e2cs.

I'll let you know how the combinations sound when they arrive.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 9
I have heard about the Sleeks and they look incredible but they are hitting around the 200 euro mark, I'm also nervous to be wearing anything that expensive out and about i must say, if i broke them i'd never forgive myself! I'm still a student so these IEM's will prob only be a stopgap till next week when i'll hopefully be working and be able to afford something decent
wink.gif

I like the look of the Etymotic ER 4P's though they are pretty expensive this side of the atlantic apparently, i might try and pick up a set at a decent price in the for sale section here however. Any more advice? Thanks again.

James

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 9
A much lower-price ($100 not sure what it is in EU, id imagine about 75-100 euro but honestly I have no idea) alternative would be the altec lansing IM716 - it uses etymotic drivers and eartips, meaning it is very similar to etymotic phones, but it has a pod thingie on it which bugs most people and removing it requires a slight cable mod - however, if youll be able to afford some more expensive ones soon, I suppose if you start the mod and can't finish it you could sell them to another head-fier who would be able to get them back in order.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by James_Rhoads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, after using the sennheiser CX300 for the last 3 years as my portable headphones of choice i'm looking to upgrade. My 5th pair of CX300s bit the dust last night and i'm decided to try a differant phone and hopefully not have any trouble with em. (I had one pair of CX300s stolen, one got ripped in half and the other 3 have all lost sound in one ear after about 6 - 8 months.) I was simply going to buy another pair of CX300's but decided I'd like to try something else.

At the moment i'm using either an iRiver 320 or an ipod shuffle (which i got free at work and has been getting a lot of use as it's so damn handy and i dont care i lose it etc.) Right now i'm listening to it via my roomates pair of etymotic hf2's and i must say i'm very impressed, great sound isolation and a great sound. I listen to all types of music but when i'm on the move its always rock and metal, ranging from blues and classic rock all the way up to death metal and including everything in between!

I would also be using the phones in my room or in the library etc. when i want some peace and quiet and some good music, i usually listen to classical or jazz when i;m trying to study or work on a project.

Due to my love of my roomates hf2s i was thinking of maybe getting something by Etymotic but i'm really not sure and would appreciate advice. I'm not sure of my budget yet, but anything under 150 euro would be fine. I'm in Ireland so also would be interested to know of the best websites etc. to buy headphones from.

To summarize I'm looking for an IEM which will be used to both listen to rock/metal and jazz/classical so flexibility is a must. I would like them to be durable if possible, provide excellent isolation and cost 150 euro or less. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
jecklinsmile.gif

James

Generally, wht's the reason for your phones conking out? Do they just die, or do the cables get tugged on and eventually detach?

I ask this because I'm wondering if it's worthwhile investing more in IEMs that have replaceable cables.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Hey guys, the CX300s that broke lost sound in one ear, guessing it was just wear and tear on them. I caved and ordered the Sleek SA 6's today which have replaceable cables so i'm very happy
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back