iem advice required, any or all recommendations appreciated
Jan 28, 2017 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tablix

100+ Head-Fier
OK some background, I spend lots of time listening to music, i make some of my own tracks at a very amateur level and I have tunes playing maybe 4-6hrs a day.  When I can I listen through monitor speakers at my desk, having ADAM a7x at my workstation and some KRK RP6s for more relaxed listening or when watching movies.  I do use can's also which is why I use this site and currently own Beyer DT770's and have a few other pairs of over ears lying around but they dont get much use.

I have not used any in ear headphones for years, and even then they were cheap and nasty.

Now in the digital age and on the go listening I want something more portable than a full size set of cans.  I also dont want to blow a silly amount of cash as I will only be using them for about 1-2hrs a day at most.  I think my budget is in the £75-£100 range although this is flexible if someone can convince me another £50 is really worth.

I have done lots of reading in the last few weeks and have looked at hundreds of reviews and all its done is make me more confused and undecided, hence this post so that you fine people can offer me some feedback on my shortlist, and maybe add a few more to it.

So far the leading contenders are:

DUNU titan 3/5 atm I lean towards the titan 3.
1MORE E1001
Sennheiser ie60
shure 215

The confusion for me is so many brands I have no experience with, and mixed reviews and comments on pretty much everything I look at.  I dont demand perfection for the price, I am looking for something musical and engaging with a decent level of bass and detailed and accurate mids.  I also dont want to be having to purchase any form of portable amp and will be running from my iphone 6, not bothered about any form of phone controls.

I will cross my fingers and wait for some replies and opinions 

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 8
I've heard the two titans. Loved the 3. If you're willing to go the distance, I strongly recommend the LZ-A4. It's like owning at least 4 iems because you can change the sound profile. Glowing reviews, because it just makes everyone happy for the price.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the feedback, but what I actually did was order dunu Titan 1 3 and 5 from amazon, I have 3 days left to return the 2 I dont want, atm I am leaning towards keeping the titan 1.  I find its more of an all-rounder, whereas I find the titan 5 pretty bass heavy for my taste, and the titan 3 is not too far away from the titan 1 to justify the additional cost.  Got a pretty good deal paying £79, the titan 3 and 5 were both £20 more.  So I will save 20% and be happy with 90% satisfaction as these are not going to be my main listening method.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Ha! Good for you to at least try all three. I strongly recommend the dn2000 if you want a future upgrade direct from their sound. I feel strongly the same way about the 5 myself.

Titan 1 is still a solid performer especially for the price. Good for you.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Can't comment on any except the 1more: sound wise they're excellent. They don't resolve as well as my more expensive RHA T20s and don't have as tight sub bass, but on the other hand they have better treble extension and avoid harshness better when playing loud or poor recordings. If fact, they sound much better than the RHA 20s do at high volume. The only downside really is the tube which enters your ear canal is pretty thick so I wouldn't recommend them for anyone with small ear canals.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Can't comment on any except the 1more: sound wise they're excellent. They don't resolve as well as my more expensive RHA T20s and don't have as tight sub bass, but on the other hand they have better treble extension and avoid harshness better when playing loud or poor recordings. If fact, they sound much better than the RHA 20s do at high volume. The only downside really is the tube which enters your ear canal is pretty thick so I wouldn't recommend them for anyone with small ear canals.

Well said, but I did find that I got a headache after an hour or less when listening to poorly mixed Psytrance.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Well said, but I did find that I got a headache after an hour or less when listening to poorly mixed Psytrance.

I haven't found a set of headphones yet that wouldn't give me a headache after an hour of poorly mixed psytrance. That said, you're right that they can be fatiguing on poorly recorded music, which is true for most headphones. Still, I find them generally excellent for their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back