IEM advice around 100€ ($120)
Oct 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

neutral

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I used this forum some years ago to ask advice on a pair or IEM's for around $20 and I believe I am prepared for the next level. I ended up buying a pair of Meelec's M6. Loved the support and the headphones. Great sound, generally precise and decent isolation (with a bit of work). Great for sport and good-looking. Unfortunately, because I used them behind my back, and to achieve better isolation (and a little better bass), I used to push the cable cinch up to the back of my neck causing strain on the cable. Because the cables were so hard they eventually broke (the plastic around the cable - literally!) without me noticing it, all of a sudden, so they're only make contact and emit sound in certain positions.

So I need new headphones. My budget has gone up considerably to around 100€. Not that restricting but I would not like to get much farther than that. I took a look at the shootout's and there are a few I liked but I need more advice because I have certain restrictions, which are not hard restrictions but more of guidelines and I would hope someone could help me.

First, as I said, I love my M6 and Meelec, because of the support they gave before my purchase. That being said there are a few things I would like to get better. One problem I have is wax build-up in my ears, and the M6 don't have a filter whatsoever. So I would like for the new headphones to have them and if possible, removable, for me to clean them.

They're going to be used a lot so they need to have very good build quality and materials. The microphone for the phone could be a plus but not at all restrictive (I prefer sound quality to that).

I like the sound signature of the M6 but I'm not afraid of trying other ones, if they don't deviate too much from how the sound is supposed to be heard (I'm sorry if I don't made myself clear).

I like the over-the-ear type of use a lot but I can use straight down if necessary.

The ones I've seen so far are the Meelectronics's a161p and a151, the Astrotec AM-90 (but I'm a bit afraid of the big housings), Shure's, Etymotic's, Brainwavz and others I'm forgetting. But this is far from restrictive and I'm open to suggestions.

Related to this is Balanced Armature vs Dynamic drivers. Should I pay attention to this while choosing the headphones? Why?

If needed, the type of music I listen to frequently is indie, alternative, experimental rock, maybe with just a bit of electronic, but tends to vary a lot.

EDIT: I noticed the Cosmic Ears Custom IEM's too. Worth it? Better than the others?

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 7
The Rockit Sounds R-50 pretty much blows everything away in the $120 and under range imo.  Perfect detailing in the mids and highs, good bass but doesn't have the impact of a dynamic driver or some other multi BA's but if you EQ the bass or us an amp that increases the impact and depth quite a bit and is on par with my e-Q5 on a flat EQ.  They also have a really good soundstage with better than average width and depth along with really good imaging and instrument separation.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm not really sure why but I'm a bit inclined to Shure's SE215.

AstroTurf, has I tried to say, it is not a necessity, but the controls could be a potential plus.

Techno Kid, they seem to have good reviews too, but do they have wax filters? Couldn't tell by the pictures.

Thank you both very much for your suggestions!

Besides those, any more suggestions? What about the Cosmic Ears custom IEM's? And Balanced Armature vs Dynamic drivers? Should I pay attention to it?

Once again, thank you.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Shure SE-215. A fun sound, good isolation, good comfort, and Fielding Mellish likes them.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 7
The R-50 doesn't have a wax filter but I don't know what kind of filter they use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back