IEM advice! $500 budget
Aug 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kgomez1992

New Head-Fier
Help me with picking a new iem! As it's a new school semester I would like to invest in a good quality IEM. I'm currently using Sony mh1c headphones and I LOVE the sound. I mainly listen to artists such as Norah jones, John Mayer, Florence and the machine, and of course the occasional everything else. I'm considering the following

Heir audio 4ai
Jhs entry level custom
1964 ears

I'm not sure what else is available in the entry level custom market that would be neutral and worth the investment. Please help!

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 9
I haven't decided yet, nor will I for the next couple months (savings up money for this).  However, I do have a list of top picks and they are

EarSonics SM64 for $400
FitEar To Go F111 for $600
Westone 4 for $318
Sony EX1000 for $500

(in this order from 1st to 4th)

I was convinced to stay away from customs for now, as they are a much bigger risk than UIEMs. That's why I'm no longer looking at the 1964 Ears or ALclair References, both of which are more than excellent ciems.  And I decided against the HiFiman RE-600 because I read about their cable's ability to kink or break.  I use my IEMs everyday with a lot of transporting, so cable strength is a big for me.

Aside from the members who posted on that thread, one of my biggest helps was the Multi-IEM Review thread by joker:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-294-iems-compared-signature-acoustics-elements-c-12-added-08-22-13-p-753

Huge list of IEMs and the best part is that he does a lot of comparisons, and with the same ears listening, you can directly correlate results.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I haven't decided yet, nor will I for the next couple months (savings up money for this).  However, I do have a list of top picks and they are

EarSonics SM64 for $400
FitEar To Go F111 for $600
Westone 4 for $318
Sony EX1000 for $500

(in this order from 1st to 4th)

I was convinced to stay away from customs for now, as they are a much bigger risk than UIEMs. That's why I'm no longer looking at the 1964 Ears or ALclair References, both of which are more than excellent ciems.  And I decided against the HiFiman RE-600 because I read about their cable's ability to kink or break.  I use my IEMs everyday with a lot of transporting, so cable strength is a big for me.

Aside from the members who posted on that thread, one of my biggest helps was the Multi-IEM Review thread by joker:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-294-iems-compared-signature-acoustics-elements-c-12-added-08-22-13-p-753

Huge list of IEMs and the best part is that he does a lot of comparisons, and with the same ears listening, you can directly correlate results.

yeah jokers thread almost has too much information to process! i think im going to pull the trigger on some heir audio 4ais

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Funny you two posted the same question and you both have the same avatar.

I assume this is a very common question, and am almost sorry I completely missed the section for recommendations.  Glad I did ask though because of so many new IEMs i found out about.

I believe the avatar is the stock avatar for a new member.  I haven't bothered to change mine despite the time I've spent here (mostly lurking)

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I assume this is a very common question, and am almost sorry I completely missed the section for recommendations.  Glad I did ask though because of so many new IEMs i found out about.

I believe the avatar is the stock avatar for a new member.  I haven't bothered to change mine despite the time I've spent here (mostly lurking)

Didn't know that was the stock photo. Guess that happened after I made my account. Anyways, I only mentioned it because I thought the OP made all the post since it was the same pic and I wasn't looking closely. Seem like he was having a conversation with himself, which was interesting haha

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 9
I would definitely consider westone 4 (or 4r which is $50 more expensive than removable cable version) under $500 budget. Neutral, non-fatiguing sound. Comfort and isolation is pretty darn good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back