IEM - $120 USD budget, COMFORT, easy listening
Nov 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jesh462

Head-Fier
As the title says, I need some IEMs. At home I have a lovely pair of Fischer Audio FA-011s that I have no intentions of replacing within the next 6 years.
For everywhere else besides at my desk, I have nothing.
The FA-011s have terrible build quality and I have already damaged them once while traveling, even within the nice case it comes with. That, combined with their fairly high price tag, makes me unwilling to carry them about.

I need something incredibly comfortable. I like to use IEMs while laying down. This includes on the side of my head. I want to be able to lay like that without discomfort. I realize this limits me on sound quality, as many high SQ IEMs use large drivers or dual armatures or whatnot, and that takes up ear real estate.

Second to comfort is sound quality and build quality. I like all of my purchases to last. At the same time, I do appreciate good sound quality. I realize that a large sound stage is difficult to produce with IEMs. I will not be too harsh in that department. However, I would like treble that is never sibilant except during burn in. I would like a non-fatiguing sound signature. I am OK with a balanced/flat/neutral sound signature as long as it is still somewhat fun and involving.

I listen to just about every music genre with both male and female singers, including classical, melodic dubstep, death metal, alternative and even some bluegrass and rap. It would irritate me if the bass response was too slow for double bass drums or if the coloration of vocals was unnatural. I do like a little bit more bass than a true flat response curve, but like I said, I am open to suggestions.

Also as this will be an IEM for on the go, it will always be used unamped through a portable source - In other words, I cannot deal with an IEM that has huge amounts of resistance. This also means that I will sometimes be listening to poor source material, AKA youtube etc. I need something that is not so analytical that will ruin my enjoyment of the music. Too analytical is a deal breaker.

I have done some research and have singled out the Zero Audio ZH-DX200-CT 'carbo tenore' as a likely option. My small concern here is that it may be "too" laid back and not get me involved enough in the music. I also wonder if I can get more sound quality with my budget. I did read a quick review on the RHA MA 750 and it seemed like a good option for everything except comfort- I would like personal experience about comfort while lying down.
As another example, I have ruled out the AT CKM500 due to sticking out of the ear too much for my use. I am sure it sounds lovely, though. I am a big fan of AT's smooth mids.

Any input I would hugely appreciate. Thanks guys!  

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 10
When it comes to the overall package of being comfortable and providing a smooth listening experience, the SE215 is the way to go. The over-ear design is a tad tricky to put on at first, but once you get the method pat down, they're probably the most comfortable entry level IEMs out there thanks to its flush design. The overall sound signature is rather smooth as well, with the bass being just punchy enough without being overbearing. The mids are also quite natural and clear, and thanks to the rolled off treble, it's not the least bit sibilant. Now the bass of the MA750i is indeed tighter, and the sound is slightly more detailed across the spectrum, but the ergonomics trail behind considerably thanks to its heavy steel housing and protruding design. I still regularly go to sleep in my SE215s. They're just that comfortable. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm not really looking to fall asleep with them on, I just want them comfortable enough for maybe an hour on my side. I would prefer something a little livelier sounding and involving than the Shure 215. Reading everyone's opinions on it sure makes it sound good, though.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 10
  I'm not really looking to fall asleep with them on, I just want them comfortable enough for maybe an hour on my side. I would prefer something a little livelier sounding and involving than the Shure 215. Reading everyone's opinions on it sure makes it sound good, though.

I believe it will be lively enough for you. We're only stating that we sleep in them to demonstrate how comfortable and smooth they are, but by no means is the sound relaxed. The vocals are quite forward and the bass is quite punchy, but at low volumes, the SE215 is gentle enough to fall asleep to. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 10
^^I agree^^ The SE215 is a dynamic driver, so it's bass is significantly more punchy than a BA IEM like a Westone or Etymotic. The top end is a bit darker, so if you like sizzling highs, then they are probably not for you.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Great info guys, thank you. I have tried researching myself to find more IEMs that may fit my needs, but everything that may be a match for sound quality seems to have quality control issues. I don't think that will be a problem with the Shures. I looked up authorized dealers and there are like 6 in my town! I just moved here, so this is amazing. Hopefully I can audition them or at least easily return them if I hate them.

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 10
  Great info guys, thank you. I have tried researching myself to find more IEMs that may fit my needs, but everything that may be a match for sound quality seems to have quality control issues. I don't think that will be a problem with the Shures. I looked up authorized dealers and there are like 6 in my town! I just moved here, so this is amazing. Hopefully I can audition them or at least easily return them if I hate them.

Great to hear, let us know how everything turns out. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back