ie9 back button again(including this site)
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
does your ie9 back button work on this site? the googleleads issue seems to have popped up again. i have googleleads in the host and banned sites. still does not work. i was wondering if anyone else has this issue? if i cannot resolve it soon i am going to waterdog. the only thing i do not like about firefox is you cannot get to "file" when in full screen. otherwise i would not be putting up with this bs. i was just wondering if someone could test ie9 for me on this site if you are using it. thanks.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 13
Get Chrome. As a web designer/front-end developer WebKit is a vastly superior render engine. It's faster, more stable, has better compatibility with current and future web standards... Firefox was great in it's day but it's become a slow, bloated browser that's struggling to catch up to the agile WebKit engine.

To that end, your choices are Chrome and Safari. Mac users can choose either, PC users should just use Chrome as Chrome on Windows rocks.

And yes, I've noticed a number of issues related to this site and certain browsers. I've submitted bug reports but they never seem to get fixed. Like this very input field I'm using now. WYSIWYG editors are all buggy and crap but this one seems to take pleasure in being so...

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 13
ie9 hard crashed my machine typing in the msg field on this site! i wanted a 64 bit browser but will try chrome. someone told me anything other than ie9 is a security risk?

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 13
Someone told you a dirty, filthy lie and will burn in the pits of browser hell for such heresy. Aside from what Microsoft would have you think, Chrome is probably the most secure browser by a significant margin. It has full-on sandboxing of every process (with a possible exception of Flash, which has it's own problems).

Also, 64-bit vs. 32-bit is very important for apps like Photoshop, FinalCut Pro, Avid, etc. It's not such a big deal for browsers and they rarely need more than 4GB of RAM anyway. In fact, you'd have to be doing a lot for a long time before it would ever become an issue.

Just do yourself a favor and dump IE. It really doesn't matter what other browser you choose, they're all pretty good and all have their strengths and weaknesses. On Windows I use Chrome. On OS X I use Safari. When I need to do some extra dev work I rock around in Firefox. Occasionally, when I'm feeling saucy, I use Opera.

I use IE when I want to get a headache at seeing how much it does wrong.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Windows 8 actually looks pretty damn interesting from a UI-perspective. Aside from their use of that stupid ribbon UI. It's ugly and tests horribly. It is, quite literally, the worst solution to what is a common problem. Then, Microsoft never was one for listening to usability research. They still think a large, vertical touch interface is a good idea even though every study related to such interfaces have said they are cumbersome and a pain to use. Bonus points for having their own resulting phenomena where the forearm grows abnormally large to compensate for holding itself up for extended periods of time. It's called Gorilla Arm.

A colleague of mine didn't believe me when I told him that was a thing. 45 seconds and a Google search later he acknowledge me as his lord and master. :D

But yes, The last good browser Microsoft made was, ironically, IE6. They just decided to keep it around for way too damn long and now they're playing rush catch-up.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Windows 8 actually looks pretty damn interesting from a UI-perspective. Aside from their use of that stupid ribbon UI. It's ugly and tests horribly. It is, quite literally, the worst solution to what is a common problem. Then, Microsoft never was one for listening to usability research. They still think a large, vertical touch interface is a good idea even though every study related to such interfaces have said they are cumbersome and a pain to use. Bonus points for having their own resulting phenomena where the forearm grows abnormally large to compensate for holding itself up for extended periods of time. It's called Gorilla Arm.

A colleague of mine didn't believe me when I told him that was a thing. 45 seconds and a Google search later he acknowledge me as his lord and master. :D

But yes, The last good browser Microsoft made was, ironically, IE6. They just decided to keep it around for way too damn long and now they're playing rush catch-up.

Is that why Firefox jumped 7 versions in just over a year? :)
Firefox 3.0 to 4.0 was a nice, big hop that I liked.  From then on, it has looked the same to me... I know there were development changes, but it's obvious they are playing games with version #s..

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 13
Firefox has gone through half a dozen major versions in the last year because of Chrome. Chrome does very fast iteration and instead of large function updates they focus on a few key features, perfect them through the developer and beta channel, and then push them out to the stable release as a new version. That's why Chrome's up to... What, 18 now? Firefox felt inferior and attributed it to the version numbering and not the fact that Chrome is faster, more standards compliant, more secure and now has a larger community of add-ons than Firefox. Not to mention it's the first browser that's ever really stood a chance of truly dethroning IE, something every web designer and web developer would love to see happen.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 13
I am posting this for anyone having back-button problems using IE8 or IE9 and would rather not change browsers. It seems there is a problem with the
ad-ware static.liftdna.com and IE. You can go to tracking protection and enable Abine in tracking protection list.
This is the only solution I have to be able to navigate on this forum for the last 6 weeks.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Using IE9 no problems at all anywhere.
Firefox and Chrome suck major, as a guy who owns and runs his own computer store I see the mayhem daily from Fireslug and Rust infected extensions, for the experienced user no problem using whatever you want, but my god those 2 browsers are just pure crap and I would personally like to execute the makers for making such an insecure pile of sheeeeit.
Microsoft may not be the best but they fight the war daily and are hardened veterans and have the security to back it unlike the other 2 losers and as user base increases those 2 will be split wide open like a nun at the bar on a friday night.
If you know you're way around a comp then IE is no problem whatsoever.
If you have been running those crap browers, might want to do a scan with combofix the results may surprise you :)

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 13
Trust me when I say IE9 is a good browser, better than Firefox, but can't touch Chrome. OK, so you own a computer shop. The site I work for gets millions of unique hit each month. Of all the browsers and environments we test, Chrome always behaves the best followed by Safari, IE9, and then either Firefox or IE8 (depending on various things).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back