IE8's and cost?
Mar 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own a few IEMS, in my sig. I like the PFE's in some aspects, Nuforce NE-7M's in others. I generally wear my PFE's with grey filters unamped, and I don't really have a good amp. As I generally port it around, even wear it in my gym class I don't want to bring an amp. I have the E3 and it's very small but I still don't like bringing it around, especially for such marginal improvement.

What I like about the PFE's - the clarity, soundstage are much better than the NE-7M's, and more balanced but...

I also like some things about the Nuforce NE-7M's - It's less balanced but I like the warmer sound signature sometimes. The soundstage seems very narrow to me which I'm not a big fan of but..

I've heard the Sennheiser IE8's have basically the same clarity as the PFE's with a much bigger soundstage. I do like a balanced sound sometimes, but a bigger soundstage and more bass impact would be great.

I generally listen to 192 minimum bitrate mp3's, usually 192 VBR. I've listened to flac but not much, and never noticed a real difference but maybe my equipment just wasn't good enough to detect it. For genre's it's really a lot of stuff, from rock, jpop, some rap, orchestral/classical, death metal and some other stuff.

The first issue is the price. People used to be getting the IE8's for around $250 US, but right now I can't find them for less than $450. There's no way they're worth that much to me at $450, but at $250 I would definitely want to snatch them up. I'd have to sell a small amount of assets to fund the purchase but it shouldn't be difficult.

Anyways, assuming I could find them again for $300 or less should I get them? Has anyone found them in the US for a reasonable price recently? If not, should I just wait until they come down in price?

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 6
I wish we had a definitive IE7 vs. IE8 thread. The former can be had for $230 on Amazon.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 6
U can get it for around USD320 from headroom, iirc. Previously people had been getting it for USD230 to 270 from NCIX US but now seem like completely wiped out. Maybe by Sennheiser.

If u decide to use IE8 in gym, do consider the poor isolation of IE8. It's not as good as your Phonak. I think it will be similar to CK7, both canalphone.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, my gym isn't very loud. I'm not using it for weightlifting or anything. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay over 300 for it. I guess I'll wait for a good deal/price drop or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back