IE8s and Complys - Why the Hate?
Aug 29, 2009 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

A_Dying_Wren

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. So... I was looking around some shops looking to audition and likely buy some amps. The iBassos I tried contributed absolutely NOTHING to the IE8s (D2+ and D3 tried. D10 out of price range). Suffice to say I didn't get them.

I didn't want to waste my time so I figured I'll pick up some Complys just to try. The shopkeeper insisted on me getting the T500s and proved that they fit so I did.

And what a difference they made. Blissful isolation (brings out an exquisite amount of detail), amazing comfort (the double flanges hurt after a while), tightened (slightly, in a good way) bass. Its how I imagine custom tips would be like. The only thing I can fault them for is bringing the soundstage a bit forward.

So why the hate on these forums for the Comply + IE8 combo? They cure the IE8s worst aspect (isolation) and don't take anything away.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 4
If you were using the stock tips before which don't give a great seal then I can see a SQ/detail boost. Many people use better(for them) silicones and get better SQ. So they get the detail and SQ boost and hear the Comply veil. Sounds like you were losing SQ since, IME, the only way Comply's can give a large jump in detail is if the other options don't seal well. The comfort difference is nice but the SQ difference is(and should not be) that great on a bassy phone. The Comply usually make thinner phones sound more full like a PFE with gray filter. There they can make a bigger difference.

In your situation they rock but for many they don't work for them. I tried them once on the bassy C710 and never again. They kick ass on my CK10 though.

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm quite sure I got a seal with the both the stock single and double flanges. There's a pop when I take them out too quickly and outside sounds are somewhat muffled.

I can't really test it with that site somewhere on the internet as it doesn't seem to play nice with my laptop's audio-out which is abominable.

Rould it be to do with the shape inside people's ears? I can see people accidentally squishing the bore of the comply and not noticing it. When I take them out of my ear there's barely any decompression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back