IE8 vs. JH5 vs. Custom Triple.Fi vs. Mage (This is NOT a review)
Dec 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I heard a full custom IE8 over the weekend, not a custom earpiece - a full custom IE8. I'll just leave it at that.

Being naughty on Christmas Eve... Is that really a good idea?

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #17 of 31
Haha. Well, the custom was not for my ears, so I cannot make great comments except to say that some of the plastic echo which I hate from the IE8 was gone. Dynamics are harder to customise because they need a perfect sound chamber. Anyway, the custom IE8 were better at a casual listen than the regular IE8 which I don't really like that much. If you like the IE8, that is a better investment than the custom tips simple because custom tips wont engage the outer concha as well as the full custom will.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Haha. Well, the custom was not for my ears, so I cannot make great comments except to say that some of the plastic echo which I hate from the IE8 was gone. Dynamics are harder to customise because they need a perfect sound chamber. Anyway, the custom IE8 were better at a casual listen than the regular IE8 which I don't really like that much. If you like the IE8, that is a better investment than the custom tips simple because custom tips wont engage the outer concha as well as the full custom will.

Come'on now, spill the beans! You don't have to say where you heard them or who is doing it, but is there somebody out there working on a process for reshelling the IE8s and possibly other dynamic drivers? Or was this just a one off custom?

EDIT: I'm also surprised to read people claiming the e2c's had no bass in this thread and others. I thought the e2cs had fantastic bass.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 mistertomlinson
Is your TF10s with extra mid driver?

No. I was too worried the sound signature would change, so I kept the original configuration. After a good 8 hours of listening, I have to say I prefer my TF10s to the Mage.

Secondly, I think I should clarify a comment I made earlier that may have been misinterpreted. I said the Mage was particularly good for "vocal-centric" and bass heavy music. What I meant by "bass heavy" was music that was produced with an ample/excessive amount of bass. So the Mage's lack thereof actually makes it sound just right. There were a few albums in particular I listened to that were mastered particularly bass heavy and sounded better to me through the Mage. I didn't want anyone to think I was suggesting the Mage had such deep bass, it was great with bass-filled music. When listening to music with the typical amount of bass, I was a little disappointed that it didn't extend a little deeper.

I'm still tempted to send my Mages back to have them tuned back to normal... what's the point of having two pairs of customs if they sound similar?

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

You know, I heard a full custom IE8 over the weekend, not a custom earpiece - a full custom IE8. I'll just leave it at that.

WOW! I think you should make a thread on this man
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Any pictures?

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pal, you come into my thread, tell me sexy things like "I heard a full custom IE8," then expect to trot on out of here? Hello blue balls.

Not so fast!!!! Please, please, PLEASE, some details!

Ha ha!
beyersmile.png
Yeah, I thought something similar. More details!

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Guys, what I figure is that I get the TF10's and try them out. If I like them, I remold them. If I like them, but feel it's missing something, I take them to UM. How much does it cost to add a driver + remold at UM?

$80 for the remold and $150 for the additional driver.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #28 of 31
So I just started listening to the TF10's.

Definitely a different sound than my IE8's, and I think I could potentially like these better. Although I love bass, no means am I a basshead. And also, it becomes fatiguing after a while. These may have a good median for me, but we'll see.

Still, I am intrigued by a full custom (ie. JH5 or JH7). Can anyone out there comment on their bass as opposed to TF10's and IE8s? It would be most helpful.

In only 10 minutes, the TF10's have caught my attention. But holy crap, the cables are stiff as hell around the ear.

shigzeo, any plans for the custom IE8's to become available to everyone else? Any details would be great!

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Hey again,

I am in now way prepared to spend $1100 on headphones (JH13/UE11). I'm not sure that my ears would notice that much difference from $500 headphones to $1100 headphones. So my price range is no greater than $500 (but can be bigger if I wait a tad).

I have a few Benjamins in my pocket, and they are dying to get out. I just don't know what to spend them on.

I currently employ IE8's, and I love them. I would love something like these. I ordered TF10's (to get customized), but I don't think I will even open the package. I'll probably just end up selling them to someone else. I would rather have a full custom, rather than a makeshift custom (no offense to anyone out there)

Reading through the forums, no one has really compared the IE8's to JH5's or Mages. So I figured I make this thread to get some thoughts on the subject. How do the JH5's and Mages hold up to my love, the IE8's?

I enjoy the IE8's because of their deep, beautiful bass. Sometimes, though, it does fatigue my ears (it's even on the lowest setting). I also love the soundstage. Mids and Treble sound fine to me, also. It has a warm sound that I am very fond of.

I want my customs to have the same signature. I guess I just want the IE8 sound in a custom shell.... So, JH5 (or even 7 if I wait a couple more months, or sell my IE8's), Mages, or forget it?

Thank you in advance, and I'll keep in touch. Sorry if I have sounded redundant, especially with two similar threads. Well, talk to you soon.

Hey there, i just noticed you said you guess you want the IE8 in a custom shell. I hear alein ears do that for you for about $150-$175. they send you an impression kit, or you can send your own moulds in which you get back.

cheers

syroadie
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good news for people who want to save some greens on extra drivers
smily_headphones1.gif
Did you find original TF10s mids a bit recessed and if yes is it cured by remolding?

The TF10's mids have never bothered me at all. I believe by definition, they are recessed a tad, but it's not something my ears really notice. Right now, it's been so long since I've heard my original TF10s, it's hard to make any real comparisons, but the remolds are certainly just as good, if not better. I don't think the sound signature has changed much at all. I plan to A/B a pair of universals with my remolds when my brother pays me for one of the pairs I got for $99. Once they're open, I'm gonna give them a close listening to and post my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back