IE8 VS IE 7 VS SE 425
Feb 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lksndr

New Head-Fier
IE 8 are now almost same price as SE 425 ...IE 7  are 125$ less than these two ... 

Before i had dt 770 pro, so i dont think bass on IE 8 would scared me off ... On the other hand, i had tannoy reveal monitors (with tannoy sub but at really low levels) wich sound harsh and rough sound and i like to listen to mid frequencies ... I like to hear low frequencies as low as it gets, but i dont lik ethem to be overemphasized ... 

Taking this into account, what do you think would do the job for me? I would use them for stage mixing, lot of listening (iPod), and music production (progresive trance, house, chill, ambient) so i need something that is in the middle of everything, what would that be? 

Thanks in advance, i opened a new tread because i couldnt find any 425 vs IE8 comparison ....

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 5
 I have and like both. The SE425s are definitely more balanced, as they are pretty neutral. They are definitely mid-emphasized and quite smooth.

The IE8s have much stronger bass, as well as more sparkle on the highs. 

For the genres you listed, I think the IE8s will have a much stronger and more engaging presence...however, the isolation and fit on them is so-so. Because of these reasons I get a lot more use out of my 425s...

The big problem here is that they are just so different! Both are good in their own ways...

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Both are butter smooth as well so you shouldn't worry about either the IE8 or 425 being harsh.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 5
I have read on this forum that when you dont seal IE8 all the way, they loose some off that "too much bass" sound (i know it is not too much im just using that to describe their sound) and then they sound more natural? Have you tried that? 

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 5
   Yes, that's true and I don't find them overly bass heavy (even with the bass adjustment knob cranked to the middle setting).

My main issue between the two is that the 425 has excellent fit and comfort that hugs my ear well and is secure with any tips. With double-flange I can get a good fit with the IE8, but then they become boomy. With looser tips the sound is more natural, but I am always having to re-adjust them to keep them from popping out of my ears.

From a sound perspective I think you'd be happier with the IE8, and they are ideal for electronic music, I just want to warn you about the possible fit and isolation issues...

IMHO, you might also want to take a look at Radius' new IEM which is coming out in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back