IE8 - that much of an upgrade from the Atrio M5?
Nov 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

N0051215

New Head-Fier
Hi,

The title says it all really - I've had (and loved) my M5's for a couple of years but a combination of curiosity and broken memory wires has got me on the hunt for an upgrade.

I started looking into customs but alas, can't afford them (or at least remotely justify the expense of something so wonderful as the ES3X!!) so I'm thinking of having custom sleeves made up by ACS []Advanced Communication Solutions - Custom Earphone Sleeves

These however would be specifically designed for my IEM of choice and are non-transferable - so this is where you fine folk come in!

I've had a look around and so far the IE8 had grabbed most of my attention - in terms of my perception of it overall sound (meaning: huge soundstage, great base - controllable with a bit of EQing and sounding similar(ish?) to the M5's and my home 'phones - HD650's) as well as from a price stand point.

The main thing is whether or not they are worth the outlay?? Will I really get a noticeable improvement over the M5's or would I need to splash out A LOT more to achieve this?!

The customs can be made for the Atrio's too - so that's another option for me (esp. considering Future Sonics will sort me out a new pair at a heavily reduced price due to the broken wires!!)..........I just don't want to fork out £80 on custom moulds for them, to then continue longing for something else.

But I guess that will never really go away, will it?!

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 5
It will be a very noticeable difference and a good one at that. You'll come to realize frequencies you never knew existed in earphones (i.e. above 500 Hz)

I kid a bit (didn't like the M5/9s) but it will be a significant improvement IMO. Soundstage is better for once and there is definitely more mids and highs. Should sound kinda similar to your HD650s i guess (never heard those).

Only really auditioned the atrios briefly but i have had the IE8s for a while.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Just don't spend $400 on the IE8, find the best deal you can, and you should be happy. If you like the Atrio, the IE8 would be the logical step up. You might however want to research the IE8 a bit, as having a seal vs having the poor stock seal with stock tips makes a large difference in the sound. Custom tips would make a very good seal, so keep that in mind.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks all.....think I'm sold on the IE8's - esp. as in the UK we can pick them up for well under $300(US)!! Then it'll make a nice little upgrade when I get fitted for custom tips - and then there's the D10 which I still saving for.......this site has opened my eyes (and wallet) to so many things!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back