IE8 owner going neutral?
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
EX600: too cold, boring, lacks bass (though I returned it after only 2 days, not sure about it)  

I almost returned my EX600s also but a week later and about 100 hours of burn in and use plus a set of Comply tips, I actually am starting to like them better than my IE8.  I would actually call them the neutral cousin of the IE8.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #33 of 36

Quote:
I almost returned my EX600s also but a week later and about 100 hours of burn in and use plus a set of Comply tips, I actually am starting to like them better than my IE8.  I would actually call them the neutral cousin of the IE8.

dosley - Glad you now enjoy the EX600.

Can't speak for the IE8, but I consider IE80 neutral with the EX600 being a slightly bright. Again the tips play a big role in this whole game.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #34 of 36
Bright IEMs are usually the neutral ones, warmth can be an artifact of coloration. FWIR, the IE80 should easily be more colored in the bass and midrange. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #35 of 36

Quote:
Bright IEMs are usually the neutral ones, warmth can be an artifact of coloration. FWIR, the IE80 should easily be more colored in the bass and mid-range. 

I still find that to be a preference thing opposed to factual. I don't consider exceedingly bright headphones/IEMs to be neutral. The overly emphasized treble is a coloration in itself.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #36 of 36

I still find that to be a preference thing opposed to factual. I don't consider exceedingly bright headphones/IEMs to be neutral. The overly emphasized treble is a coloration in itself.

Saying neutrality s based on preference makes it meaningless, might as well believe the masses which would probably say their AppleBuds are neutral. Neutrality is based on frequency response and how close you get to flat.

You have to break it down, iems are colored by their bass and treble, mids are just a result of the balance. A neutral bass or close to it, gives off clear mids with minimal lower region body. Those used to boosted bass will call it thin but it's actually a more pure presentation of the source. This is what the EX600 has in bass-mid balance, far more neutral than the IE8 which sounds as bloated as many budget stuff because of this. Quality is the result of restrained quantity, can't have both, the air movement just gets out of hand and messes with the midrange. In the treble, the Sony is also fairly neutral but it is grainy. I wouldn't say artificially boosted, I'll call the FX700 that despite not emphasizing the lower treble as much. It has less treble than the FX700 but it's response gives an emphasis in the lower treble that may sound very offending with lot's poor recorded stuff nowadays. IE8s have a far better treble, more extension and smoothness, though not given the proper presence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back