IE8 or W3?
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

winwin

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an upgrade, I'm currently using sony ex500 and although it's great, it's semi open and it sounds bad while commuting. I'm looking for something with a lot of quality bass and bass must be something i can feel but must also have clarity. Which of the two is more fitting for me?

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, aftr voting, can you say why?

I've heard the IE8s and was never very impressed. They really colour the music and give you bass close to what you would expect from a Bose headphone.

I own the W3s and SE530s and both (to my ears) are much better choices. Of these two I prefer the W3s.

Great bass, solid mids and milky sweet highs (not rolled off somewhat like the SE530s).

Cheers

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really colour the music and give you bass close to what you would expect from a Bose headphone.

Clearly you weren't wearing them right. I know the effect you're talking about, as it was something I struggled with when I tried using the foams or certain fits that caused a painful subwoofer-ish bass that lacked control and boomed excessively. The common factor of the sound I hated was a comprehensive seal with some pretty good isolation.

I'd wager the IE 8 has a more expansive soundstage and better sense of airiness, though. It kills the triple-drivers I've heard in these two aspects. Conversely, the IE 8 doesn't have as much obvious detail -- it is more relaxed and laid-back and tends to be more euphonic and romantic than accurate.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearly you weren't wearing them right. I know the effect you're talking about, as it was something I struggled with when I tried using the foams or certain fits that caused a painful subwoofer-ish bass that lacked control and boomed excessively. The common factor of the sound I hated was a comprehensive seal with some pretty good isolation.

I'd wager the IE 8 has a more expansive soundstage and better sense of airiness, though. It kills the triple-drivers I've heard in these two aspects. Conversely, the IE 8 doesn't have as much obvious detail -- it is more relaxed and laid-back and tends to be more euphonic and romantic than accurate.

It could have been the fit, I only tried them for about 15 minutes or so. You're right on the good soundstage and poorer detail, I found that as well.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an upgrade, I'm currently using sony ex500 and although it's great, it's semi open and it sounds bad while commuting. I'm looking for something with a lot of quality bass and bass must be something i can feel but must also have clarity. Which of the two is more fitting for me?

I voted for the W3 since he wants bass. We can all say between the two there would be more bass with the W3. no? I didn't know the IE8 has bass like the W3. Heck, maybe I'll have to give them a try now.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 27
These two are very different from eachother because one has dynamic driver and other has three BA drivers. It's clear if you want more details than average IEMs with more bass then IE8 are good choice. But W3 gives you more balance sound with great bass extention and it's bright. IE8 are more airy with expensive soundstage but the details are not same as W3. I would recomand FX500 and Denon AH-C710 if you want lots of quality bass with overall greater details than IE8. FX500 soundstage is expensive as IE8 but bass goes really deep and reverb.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 27
These are the two Iem's that make me wish I could afford to keep two top tier earphones. I love the Ie8 for the bass and soundstage..I miss that with them. I love the w3 for the bass..the soundstage is still pretty good to me, the fit is superb for me. I don't get any of the sibilance issues with them (nor with ie8). I think the highs are great..the mids being their weak point are fine for me as well. I always felt like I had to fiddle around with the ie8 in my ear..could never get the right tip etc. The w3 just fit me perfect with a few different tips..I forget they are even in there half the time..(except for the great sound).
If fit would not be an issue..I would still have the ie8 though. Both are top notch imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back