IE8 - how much bass can you get out of em?
Nov 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CountChoculaBot

500+ Head-Fier
I'm considering upgrading from my RE0's to IE8. The RE0's simply don't have enough bass for when I feel like being drowned in it. Make no mistake though, they sound amazing otherwise to me.

I'm just wondering if the IE8's have enough bass for what I want. I read people saying IE8 has gobs of bass even at the lowest setting, and that that's where they keep it at. What I'm wondering is, how much bass is at the highest setting? One of the things I love about my speaker setup is that I can turn the bass up to ridiculous levels for when I'm playing videogames (which I'll be doing with the IE8), to the point where each gun shot has its own palpable impact. Only problem is, it annoys everyone else in the house. Are the IE8's capable of the bass I'm looking for? Or is it just overenthusiasm for the IE8 exaggerating reports?

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the bass is easing a bit with burning in. Depends on the source (bass boost?), tips and fit too, but highest setting will give you a lot of bass, can't imagine it's insufficient for you.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 10
To my experience, it all depends on the fit, i.e. the right ear tip ^ ^ comply works good on me.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Think of the bass knob on the IE8 not so much as making more bass but rather extending the bass deeper. I run mine full. When you lower it, you lose low end extention but the high bass remains the same at any setting. It's really a variable Q design. The problem with the IE8 is that the emphasis already occurs up above 100Hz where it's affecting lower midrange presence and creating a bass heavy, warm presence. Turning up and down the bass knob does nothing to fix this. All you are doing is cutting in or out the bottom end frequencies, and putting it in is just better. It sounds more even/consistent doing so. Otherwise you just make the low end anemic turning it low. I mean of the main boost was at say 60Hz and not up in the lower midrange, the variable Q design would work much better and make a usable difference.

Coming from the RE0, anything will have more bass. Really, you needed a very robust amp powering the RE0 to get any significant presence out of it. I mean if you want to see the RE0 shine, invest in a powerful amp. It scales well to power. It's just that it's a moderate ohm and relatively low sensitivity earphone. It's just geared where it needs a ton of power to be very dynamic. Or you just buy something else and get it much easier.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 10
I find much the same thing as mvw2, where turning the bass knob seems to increase low end extension vs volume. I find that it very slightly increases bass volume, perhaps it's because of my fit and stuff.

I really enjoy the bass and I think you'll like it, but I can't say definitely. I think you'll just have to try it. On the other hand, are fullsize headphones an option for you?

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the advice so far all.

A fullsize can really isn't much of an option for me. I'm on a portable setup 90% of the time, so it'd be a waste to split money on a full size/IEM setup.

I think I was being a little bit overly hopeful with the bass on the IE8, so I'll just revise my question. My last full size was a D2000. How's it compare with that, both in an unamped situation? Or, what full size cans are the bass equivalent of the IE8?

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 10
after my initial switch between the RE0 and the IE8, I found them too warm and not detailed enough. After some time I got used to the sound, now the RE0 sounds very thin and lifeless in comparision, but this is just my sound signature preference at the moment. It is always subject to change.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 10
I was underwhelmed with what others said was the IE8's prodigious bass extension. So don't get your hopes up too high. After significant burn-in, I found the bass extension to be quite acceptable however. It is full and warm. I have mine set in the middle. You are not going to get earth moving bass with the IE8's simply because it is an IEM. Going to a club, the bass is far more visceral, moving through your body as well as thumping your ears. There is just that much more air to move. Full-sized headphones are a compromise but they still have the advantage of the transducers being lifted off of and away from your cochlea. IEM's simply are too close to the cochlea that the effects of bass on the rest of your body are absent. With that said, I love the bass on the IE8; at least for an IEM.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 10
It has been said before but I'll repeat it; tips are very important with the IE8s. Take 'overdamped' tips (f.i. decored Shure olives)) and the bass gets so dry it feels like someone is tapping your phones gently; you just feel the bass but don't hear it. Take a very 'undamped' tip (f.i. large single flange) and the bass gets big and undefined, the trick is to find the tips that match your player and your taste. My pref is in my sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back