IE7 vs. Turbine
Apr 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
I've decided that I want something musical (though with no midbass hump after burn-in) with excellent dynamics, texture, soundstage, and durability for use in situations that could damage my beloved PFEs.

Please compare them based on the following factors:

-bass impact
-bass extension
-lack of overpowering or muddiness
-mids clarity
-highs extension
-highs sparkle
-absence of a midbass hump
-dynamics
-texture (not just bass texture, but MUSICAL texture in general)
-soundstage
-durability
-quickness
-detail
-instrument/note decay
-which one is more lad back, which is more up-front
-level of realism in presentation (if I went to a live show and came back home to listen to some music, which would sound more like the live show?)

My source is a Sony S639F, and I listen to a lot of acoustic music as well as some rock here and there.

Thank you!

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 22
I would also like to know this, as I would like a replacement for my atrios which replaced my PFEs, and would like a sound more similar to the PFEs. IE7 looks to be winning so far.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 22
I was looking for this comparison for quite a long time, but I have already bought the IE7s, so that's that. lol

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 22
simply stealing post...

but hasn't there been speculation that turbine is awfully similar to beats tour?
and if that's the case, bass on the turbine might be quite prominent.

if you want bass ie8 should give you a better experience i guess? at least they provide you with a analogue dial that can enhance it.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 22
I don't want thumping super basshead bass... that's why I asked about the midbass hump.

I just want something with a fun sound signature, but not in the sense that the PFE is fun. I'm thinking more "enjoying a live show" fun than "hearing a recording" fun. I have no idea how to describe that any better.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 22
I would think the IE7 is better option since you already have the PFE. The Turbines for me lack the clarity of the PFE. While there is lot of bass the rest of the spectrum isn't clear or transparent.

The Turbines are a good option if you are coming from a lower price point. But since you already have the PFE and are used to a certain amount of clarity and transparency in the mids and highs, the Turbine won't give you that. This is assuming you like those characteristics of course.

The reports are that the IE7 offer the clarity of the PFE with more bass. While others claim that the IE7s don't have that clarity.

If you can't afford the IE7 give the Turbine a try you might find them more to your taste. It is all personal tastes in the end.

I am not sure how you can get "enjoying a live show" out of a recording. If an IEM changes the recorded material to mimic a live show or a live room it is coloring the sound.

I highly recommend you watch this video:
Philoctetes - Deep Listening: Why Audio Quality Matters

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 22
I know about all that. I didn't know how to word it any better. Basically, I just want something that can take some abuse that will offer the SQ, transparency, and clarity of the PFE with a much better soundstage, and more "true to life" texture and note decay.

I'd also like to retain a certain amount of sparkle in the highs for my acoustic music.

Basically, I want something that is musical yet analytical, yet in a different sense than the PFE. The PFE I would say is on the more analytical side of this balance of musical and analytical, most likely due to the balanced armature driver. For portable usage, I want something more... immersive? In other words, the PFE lets me look at the recording while still enjoying it. For this next IEM, I want something that puts me into the music but still lets me look into it almost as easily as the PFE. And I hate slow drivers, so that part is also pretty important. I guess I'm not really looking for something too bassy, just more "full". I hate having too much bass. In fact, the PFE is the perfect amount for me. But if a little more will draw me in more and allow me to feel like I'm in a trippy dream with my music floating around me, then so be it.

I've essentially decided the PFE is for use at home while whatever I get next will be a durable yet beautiful sounding IEM for full portable use.

tl;dr
I'm looking for a more dynamic, immersive, true-to-life sound that is still extremely enjoyable for a lover of the PFE sound signature. It also has to be built like a tank so I don't have to be afraid if I have to quickly put it in my pocket when the bell rings or something. And if there is a midbass hump, I will go on a rampage and do evil things
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know about all that. I didn't know how to word it any better. Basically, I just want something that can take some abuse that will offer the SQ, transparency, and clarity of the PFE with a much better soundstage, and more "true to life" texture and note decay.

I'd also like to retain a certain amount of sparkle in the highs for my acoustic music.

Basically, I want something that is musical yet analytical, yet in a different sense than the PFE. The PFE I would say is on the more analytical side of this balance of musical and analytical, most likely due to the balanced armature driver. For portable usage, I want something more... immersive? In other words, the PFE lets me look at the recording while still enjoying it. For this next IEM, I want something that puts me into the music but still lets me look into it almost as easily as the PFE. And I hate slow drivers, so that part is also pretty important. I guess I'm not really looking for something too bassy, just more "full". I hate having too much bass. In fact, the PFE is the perfect amount for me. But if a little more will draw me in more and allow me to feel like I'm in a trippy dream with my music floating around me, then so be it.

I've essentially decided the PFE is for use at home while whatever I get next will be a durable yet beautiful sounding IEM for full portable use.

Then look at the IE7 or IE8. Forget the Turbines. If you didn't lis those things as important and wanted a fun sounding headphone at expense of clarity and soundstage the Turbine would be OK.

The Turbine's soundstage is fairly compressed.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 22
Forgot to mention - I don't want a sound that's TOO laid back (in other words, I despise veils and I like everything to just be there).

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 22
Veiling doesn't even exist in the IE7. You own the PFEs, so you should know the clarity and the detail those provide right? The IE7s are exactly the same really...just with more of a low end, completing that "fuller" sound that you are looking for.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 22
For what it's worth, I haven't found the Turbines to lack clarity whatsoever, but I also have not had the chance to listen to any of the IEx Senns. Are the Turbines durable...yes, great sounding...yes, more musical than most of my other IEMs...yes, a replacement for an IE7/8...don't know, but the Turbines are still very enjoyable, especially in capturing the timbre of instruments and the impact of quality bass. Plus you can't beat their $105 price at MacMall right now.

YMMV, just one person's opinion.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You basically described what I look for in an iem!

I want to buy one to listen to indie/pop/rock/electronica and I've settled on either the pfe or the ie8.
Looks like the pfe might do the trick seeing that you love them so much but I wonder if the ie8 could have most of the qualities of the pfe (clarity,precision,speed) while adding the depth, texture we're both looking for.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You basically described what I look for in an iem!

I want to buy one to listen to indie/pop/rock/electronica and I've settled on either the pfe or the ie8.
Looks like the pfe might do the trick seeing that you love them so much but I wonder if the ie8 could have most of the qualities of the pfe (clarity,precision,speed) while adding the depth, texture we're both looking for.

If you can afford the IE8 get the IE8. It is a top of the line IEM and is well reviewed here.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 22
I own the Turbines and the IE7's using a S639 as my primary source. I have 300+ hours of burn in on the IE7's and only have 70 hours on the Turbines. BTW I also own the PFE's. Not really fair to compare the two as of yet since they don't have the same amount of burn in hours. Out of the box, the Turbines sound better than the IE7's. After burn in, the IE7's sound signature has drastically changed. It represents the frequency spectrum pretty well as it has more of a nuetral sound. It has a powerful bass impact (not as much as the IE8's) with great extension (can get really low). No mid bass hump (after burn in). Very wide sound stage with more forward sounding mids than the IE8's. They sorta sound like a cross between an IE8 and SE530. When I get the turbines to the 300+ hour burn in milestone, I will make a fair review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back