IE7/8 vs TF-10 vs UM2
Jan 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 32
I have a thing against UE cables. I take extra care of all my IEMs, and the UE cable, by far are of inferior qualities.
Do take extra caution especially at the area near the jack.

IE8 and westone cables are really good.

Wonder what it'll be like to place IE8 cables on TF10?

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabjuasfijwee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you own all of these?

I own the IE8, TF10s and my brother owns the IE7 and UM2. I have heard all 4.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 = meh, just meh all over. no highs.

The UM2 is a great IEM. Maybe not the best one listed, but it's certainly not "meh". It's the most comfortable and best isolating of the bunch. I haven't heard the TF10 or IE7, but if I was chossing between the UM2 or IE8 I think I'd probably go for the the UM2.

The both focused more towards the bottom end and are fun rather than analytical. The IE8s may be more accurate (I haven't tried them side by side) but for comfort and isolation reasons alone I'd have to go with the UM2.

Mark just doesn't like Westone for some reason.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 32
Taught me a lesson on fit. I prefer the IE8 sound, but TF10s fit me better and sound better. They're my first phones to get an A+ on the "Busy Urban Street" test, and the difference is immeasurable.

P.S.: I have GIANT ear canals--I can stick a smaller IEM a quarter inch into my head--so that might count for something.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my quick sum up

UM2 = meh, just meh all over. no highs

IE8 = yey fun! big bass V shaped sound sig. excellent.

TF10 = yey fun! lots of treble V shaped sound sig. excellent.

IE7 = just lovely. great bass, great mids and good highs. if i could only have one of these 4 it would be the one id have.

I agree TF10 have a V-shaped sound sig but I can't say the IE8 have one too. Sure it has deep bass and the high's extend out a lot, but the midrange is also quite prominent meaning the sound isn't what I'd describe as V-shaped.

To my ears the IE7 are a more toned down version of the IE8, at least from a treble perspective. The treble is not as extended which IMO gives the impression of the midrange being more forward than the IE8

Also I wouldn't say the TF10 has recessed mids, I'd just say the bass and highs are more prominent, which I guess is slightly different. Put another way my old TF10 had better mids than my Ety ER6i's and mids were definitely their (only) strong point...

All of them are fine headphones I'd probably rate the three that I've heard in this order: IE8 > TF10 > IE7

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM2 is a great IEM. Maybe not the best one listed, but it's certainly not "meh". It's the most comfortable and best isolating of the bunch. I haven't heard the TF10 or IE7, but if I was chossing between the UM2 or IE8 I think I'd probably go for the the UM2.

The both focused more towards the bottom end and are fun rather than analytical. The IE8s may be more accurate (I haven't tried them side by side) but for comfort and isolation reasons alone I'd have to go with the UM2.

Mark just doesn't like Westone for some reason.

no really the UM2 is very meh, dont get me wrong its not terrible or bad but its really just outclassed by those 3 particularly the IE8 and tf10. the um3x (and probably the w3) are competition for them, the um2 just isnt.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 32
I would say the IE8 is an improvement in dynamics and musicality over the TFP, while the UM2 is a bit muffled in comparison. The UM2 is good, the others are better, with the IE8 presenting a cohesive and large soundstage, and is balanced with a bit of warmth across the spectrum.

If $250 is your limit (I don't know if you can find legitimate new IE8s for that price in the US), then the new Monster Turbine Pro is another option. Very very clean sound, with a slight but forgiving bass hump, but not one that intrudes on the mids and treble.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the most comfortable and best isolating of the bunch. I haven't heard the TF10 or IE7, but if I was chossing between the UM2 or IE8 I think I'd probably go for the the UM2.

if you haven't heard the tf10 or the ie7 how can you say the um2 is the most comfortable and best isolating of the bunch? you have nothing to base that on

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you haven't heard the tf10 or the ie7 how can you say the um2 is the most comfortable and best isolating of the bunch? you have nothing to base that on

That is not what he said.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've read many posts on this forum in which people mention that they have trouble getting a good fit with the TF10. Not everyone has this problem, but a significant amount of people do. I'm particaurly sensitive to how well IEMs fit my ear, so I knew that I'd never get along with the TF10s.

I don't find the IE8s particuarly comfortable and for me the isolation is almost non-existent. I'm fairly certain that if I can't get a good fit with the IE8s I'm unlikely to find the IE7s fit any better.

The UM2s and UM3xs fit my ear like a glove fits a hand. They've not been designed to look nice. They've been designed to sit comfortably in your ear and sound great ... both things are of equal importance to me.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree TF10 have a V-shaped sound sig but I can't say the IE8 have one too. Sure it has deep bass and the high's extend out a lot, but the midrange is also quite prominent meaning the sound isn't what I'd describe as V-shaped.

To my ears the IE7 are a more toned down version of the IE8, at least from a treble perspective. The treble is not as extended which IMO gives the impression of the midrange being more forward than the IE8

Also I wouldn't say the TF10 has recessed mids, I'd just say the bass and highs are more prominent, which I guess is slightly different. Put another way my old TF10 had better mids than my Ety ER6i's and mids were definitely their (only) strong point...

All of them are fine headphones I'd probably rate the three that I've heard in this order: IE8 > TF10 > IE7

Like you, I wouldn't describe the IE8's sound signature as V shaped due to its mid range presence. However, I think the TF10 warrants this description. I think you're splitting hairs regarding the description of the TF10's sound signature. If its highs and lows are prominent, then aren't the mids comparatively recessed? Having spent quite some time with this phone and also comparing it to the IE8 and SE530, I regard its midrange as recessed.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #27 of 32
thanks for all the help, folks. i'm still not sure as of what to get. the ie8 seems to be a bit out of my price range but i'm not sure.

i'm kind of leaning towards the tf10's but the cable noise and fit problems might be factors that would make me shy away from them.

if anyone has any suggestions of IEMs other than the ones i've asked about i would be glad to hear about them

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 32
Other than my recommendation of the Monster Turbines or Turbine Pros, there are a lot of very good IEMs that are less expensive than the IE8. Senn's IE6 and IE7 (and other Senns), Phonak PFEs, some lower-end Ultimate Ears, Nuforce NE-7, RE0s, Westones, and many threads on all of these here on the forums.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabjuasfijwee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the help, folks. i'm still not sure as of what to get. the ie8 seems to be a bit out of my price range but i'm not sure.

i'm kind of leaning towards the tf10's but the cable noise and fit problems might be factors that would make me shy away from them.

if anyone has any suggestions of IEMs other than the ones i've asked about i would be glad to hear about them

If you go TF10 and like the sound you can later on have them custom shelled eliminating that issue and replace the cable as well. The other option on the IE8 is to look at the FS forum here and get a pair from someone with a solid feedback. It will save you some cash and help ensure your getting the real thing. I just bought a pair off ebay but the seller allows returns and they are used and were pricier than all the "New" FAKE IE8 on ebay. I still am running the chance of getting a fake set but have options if they turn out to be fake.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go TF10 and like the sound you can later on have them custom shelled eliminating that issue and replace the cable as well. The other option on the IE8 is to look at the FS forum here and get a pair from someone with a solid feedback. It will save you some cash and help ensure your getting the real thing. I just bought a pair off ebay but the seller allows returns and they are used and were pricier than all the "New" FAKE IE8 on ebay. I still am running the chance of getting a fake set but have options if they turn out to be fake.

thanks for the advice, i appreciate it. how much does it cost to get them custom shelled and what is the process involved? and replacing the cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back