IE7/8 vs TF-10 vs UM2
Jan 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 32
What do you want from an IEM?

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabjuasfijwee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are your thoughts/experiences?

IE8 > UE 10 >>UM2 > IE7.

Of all my IEMs, I would put the IE8s at the top of the list, only slightly ahead of my W3s.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 > UE 10 >>UM2 > IE7.

Of all my IEMs, I would put the IE8s at the top of the list, only slightly ahead of my W3s.

do you own all of these?

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 32
just out of curiosity, how come you list um2 instead of 3x?

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price, probably.

yes, i'm not looking to spend more than 250....maybe 300

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 32
yep..getting the right fit is really tricky with these. never had such problems with earphones until these. took me a couple days to find a fit that didnt try to kill my ears

also what kind of sound are you looking for in earphones? it would be easier to get help if we knew that

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 32
I've owned both the TF10s and IE8s at the same time and in the end, I much prefer my IE8s over the Triple.Fis.
In my listening comparisons, I felt the IE8s had better extension on both ends, detail was no slouch compared to the TF10s, and it just had a smoother, more effortless sound.
The Ultimate Ears on the other hand, while still very good IEMs, sometimes seemed artificial, at least compared to what I own at the moment. Treble was a bit more forward, mids were sometimes rough. They're still very enjoyable and if you can find a good deal on them, I wouldn't be sure the IE8s are worth the extra $150+. It will come down to your preferences, etc.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 32
trust me the Tfi memory cable is so junk.
everytime i put it on i have readjust it and its just a pain the --
dont bother with a Tfi

in addition the tube shape is just horrible.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 32
I haven't heard the IE7 or the UM2 but I own the TF10 and the IE8, and I used to have the UM3X. The TF10 and the IE8 are both excellent sounding IEMs in my opinion but they present music quite differently. Think of a miniature sized set of dynamic driver headphones and that will give you some idea of how the IE8 sounds. They are very engaging phones with a surprisingly large soundstage for an IEM. They have impressive treble extension but they are often described as bassy, and I think that's a fair call as I find the bass and mid-bass to be dominant in the overall mix. The bass also lacks some definition to my ears. All of the details in the music are there when you listen to the IE8, but it is presented in a cohesive, natural and rather relaxed way.

The TF10's are triple balanced armature phones. They have impressive instrument separation and detail. The soundstage is also spacious for an IEM. I think this phone has great clarity. The highs have excellent extension but they are more pointed than those of the IE8, if that makes sense. I would describe the TF10's midrange as slightly recessed. The IE8 has more midrange presence to my ears. The bass of the TF10 is more detailed and tightly defined than that of the IE8, and it goes deeper as I hear it. I think it's a more balanced sounding phone than the IE8. However, the TF10 is notorious for its fit problems and the IE8 has a better cable. Some would say that its build quality is superior overall to the TF10.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 32
I have the IE8, and have tried the Triple.fi 10 recently at a local meet. I still prefer the IE8's airy instrument separation (there's a sense of air between the instruments), lush midrange, soundstage and bass. The TF10 does have a smidge more detail and better isolation though. I was lucky enough to get a good fit/seal the first time I tried them one, that may not be the case for everyone.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 32
my quick sum up

UM2 = meh, just meh all over. no highs

IE8 = yey fun! big bass V shaped sound sig. excellent.

TF10 = yey fun! lots of treble V shaped sound sig. excellent.

IE7 = just lovely. great bass, great mids and good highs. if i could only have one of these 4 it would be the one id have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back