IDT HD in Dell Vostro 1320 sounds terrible!
Jan 28, 2012 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

knugge

100+ Head-Fier
I have two computers at work, one Fujitsu with Realtek HD soundcard and one Dell with IDT HD and my homecomputer is a Macbook 2010. The sound out of the HO differs greatly. I'd rank them as follows: 1. Macbook 2. Realtek 3. IDT. I've been listening to compressed music through Spotify premium which sounds just fine to me. The Macbook is highly enjoyable and so is the Realtek but the IDT HD sucks! It sounds so bad it's impossible for me to listen through it. I've tried both my ATH-M50, Klipsch X5 and a cheap headset at work. It sounds as if there is no treble extension at all. As if the sound is cut above 5khz. It's also without detail in all of the audible register. Unlistenable in short.

The Macbook pro and the Realtek both sound quite nice. Nothing spectacular but I have no idea how a Spotify encoded song sounds in a good system so it might have something to do with that.

What puzzles me is that the Dell is a Vostro 1320 all new and still sound the worst by a huge margin. Does anyone else have any experiences with this IDT soundcard and what is your opinion about it's HO?

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm listening to my Realtek equiped computer today, listening to Oskar Schonning a Swedish jazz band (great by the way) and man does it sound flat and uninspiring through the Realtek. As mentioned before the IDT is unlistenable so I simply don't use it. The Realtek however is usefull but with flat, boring sound through my ATH-M50. The Macbook is just way better. Seems like those Intel soundcards really aren't that bad.

I'm thinking that maybe it's the lack of subbass that makes it sound flat because the sound in the mid and top seems to be ok. It sounds as though the vibrant ringing sound from the notes that should keep ringing for a while are missing. Don't know what it's called (overtones perhaps?). difficult to describe sound. :)

Love to here some more opinions on these onboard soundcards.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
not heard it but its something makers can skimp on, most people dont care about auido quality and wouldnt notice the difference.

external DAC's cures the issue though

Yes I'm actually looking for one sub 200 dollars. Seems like the Fiio E17 would be great as it can be used for portables as well. Might improve the sound from iphone, ipad úsing dock connector also?

May 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 6
knugge, not sure if you're still wondering about IDT but I just replied to a post about the SRS Premium Sound programme which I think comes bundled with IDT soundcards (it came with my Dell laptop). I found that it drastically improved the sound comprared to having SRS turned off. Perhaps the programme is meant to be used along with the soundscard? I don't know. Anyway, the post is here in case you're interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/606246

Users who are viewing this thread

Back