iDont.com The Anti-iPod Revolution ...?
May 22, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

enjoi_rootbeer

500+ Head-Fier
clever marketing by sandisk to try and push the ipod out of the top spot by using psuedo-grafitti insulting ipod owners with "iFollow" "iChimp" iSheep" etc.
links to sites likethe www.cyberrodent.com justifying what the "i" in iPod stand for. just trying to sell the sansa e200...looks like a nano... whatever SanDisk...what does the "e" stand for?
because this is the revolution we need. grumble grumble...

May 23, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 21
That is indeed pretty sad. Looking at "anythingbutipod"'s review it really is just a knockoff iPod. No custom EQ, so far the resume doesn't work right, and it doesn't play tracks in order (possible fixes in firmware but on release this is not cool.) Also only supports MP3 and WMA. Not an iPod killer fo sho.

May 23, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 21
I like my iPod.

I don't need to rag on it so that I can feel like I'm some kind of "cool non-conformist."

It works, so I like it. It is easy to use, so I like it. There are lots of after-market accessories, so I like it. It looks cool, so I like it. It sounds good, so I like it.

I can see ragging on something that is expensive and mediocre (i.e. those Bose Triports), but some folks need to let the iPod grudge go. I guess when you're at the top it makes you the "top" target.

May 23, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 21
I have an ipod, and it adds +10 to my coolness. [size=xx-small](which technically, still makes -200...)[/size]

May 23, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
I like my iPod.

I don't need to rag on it so that I can feel like I'm some kind of "cool non-conformist."

It works, so I like it. It is easy to use, so I like it. There are lots of after-market accessories, so I like it. It looks cool, so I like it. It sounds good, so I like it.

I can see ragging on something that is expensive and mediocre (i.e. those Bose Triports), but some folks need to let the iPod grudge go. I guess when you're at the top it makes you the "top" target.

I agree to the fullest extent. I really don't understand why people try to down the iPod. Sure they have had their issues in the past but what peice of electronic equipment hasn't? My 60 gb iPod video is working fine. The battery life is a dream and the sq is great. I don't see the need to bash it or other mp3 players.

May 23, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
That is indeed pretty sad. Looking at "anythingbutipod"'s review it really is just a knockoff iPod. No custom EQ, so far the resume doesn't work right, and it doesn't play tracks in order (possible fixes in firmware but on release this is not cool.) Also only supports MP3 and WMA. Not an iPod killer fo sho.

Well, last time I checked the iPod didn't have a custom EQ (does the new gen have it?) and only supported AAC/MP3/WAV/ALAC, so...

Not saying you're inherently wrong (I liked my iPod well enough, before the X5 arrived
biggrin.gif
), just pointing it out.

May 23, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 21
It took me a while to realize this was a Sansa deal as opposed to a purely anti-iPod site. This seems a bit ethically questionable (the fact it's not clear) but meh. In fact right now I still can't figure out if Sansa owns the site or if the site is merely pushing their PDAP.

I'm also not sure where the revolution is coming from as a revolution usually requires some principle or idea beyond merely sticking it to The Man.

At the moment, I'd say that the 5G iPod w/ Rockbox is the best (for my purposes) PDAP. Without Rockbox, ehh, the ID3 library was cool for the first week, then I wanted the file tree system of the iAudio U2 back (and Rockbox fortunately has that) along with the ability to delete iTunes off my computer.

I can't say I care about ogg, FLAC though given that well-encoded mp3 is already up there and either my ears suck or I'm not a SQ-discerning listener.

May 23, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Lame. When a company has to badmouth competitors' products, it's usually a sign their own products are not up to snuff.

Have you seen the newest series of Mac computer TV ads? A frumpy uptight looking guy in a suit is supposed to be Microsoft ... he keeps freezing. The Mac guy however, is Mr. hip, cool, and casual.

May 23, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Have you seen the newest series of Mac computer TV ads? A frumpy uptight looking guy in a suit is supposed to be Microsoft ... he keeps freezing. The Mac guy however, is Mr. hip, cool, and casual.

I've seen them. I think they tread a fine line but do it largely in tasteful manner. The "I'm a Mac" guy never criticizes the "I'm a PC" guy directly. Obviously the freezing/need to reboot ad capitalizes on a certain level of frustration out there with PCs, but it does so using physical comedy rather than direct criticism, and it definitely does so without saying PC buyers are stupid or sheep. I don't think the ads are particularly effective though, except for the one where the PC guy praises iTunes, and the Mac guy says "if you like iTunes, you should check out iMovie, iWeb, iPhoto, etc." That ad is kind of intriguing.

May 23, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant

But isn't this entire ad campaign more about selling the new windows-friendly macs (appealing to PC users) than about slamming PCs?

May 23, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
But isn't this entire ad campaign more about selling the new windows-friendly macs (appealing to PC users) than about slamming PCs?

That may be what the latest ones are doing (I haven't seen any of them yet), but I'm hard-pressed to think of a Mac commercial in the past that hasn't been based around bad-mouthing Windows, whether explicitly or implicitly.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple deserves a taste of their own medicine. Go get 'em, Sandisk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back