Idle noise and other unspecified properties of audio gear: a818 e260 and yours
Sep 28, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sinner6

100+ Head-Fier
I have noticed a lot of dicussion about unquantifiable sound quality properties that are frankly subjective. We use adjectives like "smooth, rich, tinny, warm, brittle" all the time to describe sounds. In this thread I thought it might be useful to talk about the qualities of equipment we have used with regards to things that don't nescesarilly show up on a spec a sheet and may not nescessary be a problem but nonetheless a quantifiably present. Let's try and keep it as objective as possible and stick with things that are reproducable consistently.

I have experience with:

Sansa E260:

Whether you like the SQ or not the Sansa exhibits significant (audible) interference at the audio output apparently from the units CPU chip.

At idle, simply navigate the interface, a faintly audible squelch is present. While the sound is not present during playback it crops up between EVERY track and is especially unnerving during random play where a pop can be heard between tracks. This is made worse by hooking to a line input or high sensitivity phones. A non issue for some, deal breaker for others.

Sony NWZ-A818:

The unit has a subtle hiss present at all times while on. It's nearly imperceptible on the supplied phones and Sony MDR-7506's but is easily audible on Denon C700's.

When put to the scope my unit gave the following result-

test.jpg

In my case, the Sansa issue was a deal breaker and the Sony's is not.

What experiences have you had?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back