Idiot Digital Cable Question
Jan 22, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 19
That is not a stupid question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 19
Digital coax looks like standard analog RCA cables. In theory, Digital Cables are engineered specifically to pass digital signals. Providing 75 ohm impedance with a wider frequency bandwidth.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 19
Your analog cable will work if you plug it in to a digital output, but the impedance will not be the correct 75 ohms, and you could get some interference as analog cables are usually not as well shielded as digital cables and more information is passing through it.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 19
I currently use a standard RCA coax cable to connect my CD player's coax digital out to an external DAC. Sounds pretty good -- clean, reasonably dimensional, pleasant freq balance.

That said, I can't comment on whether dedicated digital cables would sound better, because:

a) I haven't done the A/B listening comparison that would be necessary to make such a judgement, and,

b) I have no desire to get involved in the fierce, highly idiological cable wars that rage across the Head-Fi forums. A boy could get himself killed.

DON'T TASE ME BRO!!! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? AAAAAAHHHHH....

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 19
I use component cables as digital IC and can't tell the difference between these and optical cables, so I believe there should be no difference between normal RCA cables and "digital" cables in my system.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 19
some of the cheap thin video cable they provided (yellow) that is part of the yellow/red/white bundle are probably not 75ohms neither, due to being short length. But if you need very long length than the digital signal begins to degrade, it's better to use the correct type since they are better insulated and shielded.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 19
If it makes you feel better, Monoprice sells coax digital cables for $3-4. I can't hear a difference (on my relatively modest HTS).

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently use a standard RCA coax cable to connect my CD player's coax digital out to an external DAC. Sounds pretty good -- clean, reasonably dimensional, pleasant freq balance.

That said, I can't comment on whether dedicated digital cables would sound better, because:

a) I haven't done the A/B listening comparison that would be necessary to make such a judgement, and,

b) I have no desire to get involved in the fierce, highly idiological cable wars that rage across the Head-Fi forums. A boy could get himself killed.

DON'T TASE ME BRO!!! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? AAAAAAHHHHH....

A good coax with good BNC connector (even better than RCA) can provide jaw dropping results...

I know because my jaw dropped when I heard Apogee's Wyde eye coax's performance over regular digital cable, then Belden's teflon coax (about a mile ahead of Wyde eye), and then Apogee Wyde eye AES/EBU cable... Currently I'm using the AES/EBU cable and really have no desire to upgrade just yet. :p

Apogee cables are not too hard to build, and none of them are expensive. However, Belden's copper strand is extremely hard (at least the one I used is), and can pierce your finger easily.
eek.gif
If anyone is still using not-exactly coax for their coax connection, give it a shot... I would love to see more people dropping their jaws and trying to shove it back. :p

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 19
I use a standard RCA interconnect as a digital IC long time ago for Apogee MiniDAC in SPDIF connection. Also tried a lot of digital and analog cables in my setup. You can easily use any cable, digital or analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back