iDevice "extension" cable
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Phos

500+ Head-Fier
I have a set of Shure SE 210's that I'd like to try and add an iDevice mic and button to, and perhaps volume controls as well if I can figure out how.  If you're familiar with this generation of Shure IEMs, you know that they have a jack at the Y and then you connect that to an extension that goes to the device itself.  I can find TRRS connectors no problem, but I'm not sure where to go about getting the mic and button.  I might be able to cannibalize one off an existing cable.  I don't think just reterminating an existing cable would work very well, considering how low that would leave the mic.  Any ideas where to start?  

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 3
I watched a video about this the other day: http://www.depotbassam.com/2012/01/diy-smartphone-headphone-adapter-with.html 

The video just shows how to hook up a mic and play/pause button, but it looks like it's working okay with an iPhone.  His schematic does not have all the parts that David Carne points out in his investigation.

The best documentation I've seen on the iPod/iPhone inline remote is from David Carne: http://david.carne.ca/shuffle_hax/shuffle_remote.html 

Initially it looks pretty easy to build your own iPod/iPhone inline remote replacement until you get to the part where you need to replicate the power-on ID 'chirp' with a low power microcontroller and then suddenly it doesn't look so fun.  I was planning to try building one and add a passive crossfeed circuit to justify the added bulk.  I wanted to also use different/better momentary pushbuttons but can't seem to find what I want on Mouser.  I'm looking for a rotary momentary switch that goes two ways (CW/CCW) and is not a joystick.  Must be a niche product.  I'm planning to go with a 3-way momentary thumb switch instead.

My ghetto workaround for the power-on ID 'chirp' would be to throw an existing Belkin inline remote at the end of the replacement circuit as David Carne has done in Figure 6. Not too elegant but there will be more than enough room in the enclosure.  

May 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 3
So I was a little busy but now I have more time to get back to this.  

That link to the david carne article is broken, the site seems to be gone or closed or something.  

I'm thinking that it might be easier to pry open an apple remote and just solder what I need to it and make my own case, but apple wants $30 for theirs.  Considering that I'm just going to tear them up, does anyone know of any dirt cheap control equipped ear buds?  

And a rotary momentary switch?  That sounds like you're looking for a rotary encoder, the devices used in mouse wheels.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back