identify my turntable.
Apr 16, 2006 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I`ve received a turntable as a gift from my girlfriend, it used to be her grandpa`s. It says its an Onkyo 751. But can`t find anything about it online.
The table sounds pretty good hooked up to setup.

So maybe you guys could help me.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
I`ve received a turntable as a gift from my girlfriend, it used to be her grandpa`s. It says its an Onkyo 751. But can`t find anything about it online.
The table sounds pretty good hooked up to setup.

If it sounds good then what's there to know?!
biggrin.gif

You can quickly assess its virtues by inspecting it. Spin the platter by hand. If it stops immediately then most likely it's belt-driven. Sometimes it's easy to verify a belt in there by removing the rubber mat on the platter and peeking inside. Hey, it might even state that on the front...
In any case, if you don't hear hum then why would you even care?
Look at the cartridge and try to find any manufacturer's markings. This will tell you quite a bit about the sound quality you can expect from this setup.
Inspect the tonarm. If it's a piece of black plastic then most likely not the greatest. You might luck out and see a metal tube tonearm. Most of the vintage units have a detachable headshell. Not necessarily bad either.
eggosmile.gif

And don't let anyone tell you that an auto-lift (at the end of record) is a bad thing!!! It is probably the main reason why I still play vinyl today!
Bottom line - enjoy it!!!

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
So maybe you guys could help me.

Got a pic, maybe? That could help...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
And don't let anyone tell you that an auto-lift (at the end of record) is a bad thing!!! It is probably the main reason why I still play vinyl today!

Automatic cuing changers can add noise, but an auto lift at the end usually doesn't cut in until the record is over. No possibility of noise.

See ya
Steve

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Automatic cuing changers can add noise, but an auto lift at the end usually doesn't cut in until the record is over. No possibility of noise.

See ya
Steve

Depends on the mechanism. The cheaper ones that use gears/springs can definitely add unwanted noises.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Depends on the mechanism. The cheaper ones that use gears/springs can definitely add unwanted noises.

That is correct but in general it's not hard to find a decent mid-80's table with a good auto-lift or auto-stop. Harman Kardon made a few and I'm sure many Japanese tables are decent too.
The main issue I wanted to emphasize is that many people stop playing vinyl because it became a chore. It's much easier to cue a CD and flip tracks with a remote, or go through endless tracks on your iPod or Squeezebox.
I have an Oracle Delphi that is beautiful to watch and produces a truly great sound too. It is practically collecting dust! I switched to a "lesser" table that has auto-lift, and since then the platter is hardly ever stationary!
In audio - like anything in life - ergonomics is high on the list of desirable virtues. Don't make the mistake of underestimating this factor!!!

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Well, you can purchase separate auto-lifts for many tables, so I'm not sure why it's such a big issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back