Identical sound signature to the ah-d1100 Denons?
Apr 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
So my d1100s crapped out on me. They were horribly built plasticky headphones (cracked at cup joints and other areas), on top of that, the ear pads faded away and peeled off.

My question is, is there a similar headphone out there with the same comfort (they were around the ear not on ear) and sound signature?

I have the D2000s and use them as my reference headphone but the 1100s were the fun dance/rap music headphone I'd listen to when I wanted to get work done. The lightweight made them a joy to use as well.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 8
  Was it something I said?  

Help a fellow former contributing brother out!

I see that the Denon AH-D1100 are still available on Amazon (Japanese import; approx. $90).  As an alternative you might consider the nearly identical  Creative Aurvana Live (both were made by Fostex; and reported to have the same driver; approx. $50).  There is also the E-MU Walnut (approx. $110? on Massdrop, but you will have to wait for them to drop again).  The EM-U Walnut is also clearly a Denon AH-D1100 / Creative Aurvana Live derivative.  The wood cups are nice looking, but I can't say how the wood might influence the sound.  Hard to imagine that it is worth the approx. 460 premium over the Creative version.  You will find more posts on Head -Fi than you will want to read on the Creative Aurvana, and the EM-U is also covered on Head-Fi.  Finally, you will find an article on Innerfidelity.com comparing the Denon AH-D1100 and the Creative Aurvana Live.  Hope this helps.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Helps immensely. Thank you! The build quality on those Denons were atrocious. I'll look into one of the aboves.

The Creative Aurvana are what you would expect for $50 neighborhood...they are not made to take abuse.  I would say that you will get good service out of them if you are reasonably careful.  They hit way above the $50 neighborhood in sound quality, however.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Well it beats paying 110 for those Denons when I bought them new only to have them fall apart a year later. I can swallow a 50 dollar loss easier.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 8
Well it beats paying 110 for those Denons when I bought them new only to have them fall apart a year later. I can swallow a 50 dollar loss easier.

I think you will be pleased with the sound signature of the Creative Aurvana.  Good luck.

May 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 8

I think you will be pleased with the sound signature of the Creative Aurvana.  Good luck.

late update, but I finally got around to buying these not too long ago.

They sound fantastic.  I'm really happy with them ... BUT ... I feel the Denon version sounded slightly better, mainly because the cups were deeper and fit around my ears better.  I feel the deeper cups gave the bass a bit more air and more boom. But even with that being said, these are by far the best bargain on the planet if you're into synth, hip hop, edm, etc.  I'm very pleased with them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to friends looking for a similar headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back