Ideas to "Lift" my Audioengine A5's?
May 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
Wow, I learned/refreshed a lot of knowledge reading all that, and I thought I was done with school :p

Me too! Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it. I gave you the only kudos I knew how, which is the thumbs up at the bottom of the post :p Definitely something to think of as I move forward.

I don't think my ears are THAT great (Especially when the 4-5ft pin drop is concerned) but I do notice a difference from when I sit normal to when I put my head to the same level as my speaker cones, and that's more that I'm aiming for. :)

May 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:
Me too! Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it. I gave you the only kudos I knew how, which is the thumbs up at the bottom of the post :p Definitely something to think of as I move forward.

I don't think my ears are THAT great (Especially when the 4-5ft pin drop is concerned) but I do notice a difference from when I sit normal to when I put my head to the same level as my speaker cones, and that's more that I'm aiming for. :)

i was just about to mention..
if you arent sure whether or not your ears are 'capable' of hearing the difference.. simply decide for yourself whether or not you can hear any difference with the speaker NOT pointed directly at your ear.. and then again with the speaker pointed in your direction.

being able to notice a difference between these two is all you need.

but anyways.. i see you already said that in your post.
read up on techniques to boost your hearing.. they work.
most of the time you are just sitting in a quiet room and dropping a pin over and over trying to zoom in on the sound.
if you find that the sound grows harder and harder to hear.. you need to practice listening to sounds that are very far away rather than right in front of you.

and if those two fail.. maybe you need some hypnosis and a tuning fork strummed against your forehead.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #21 of 27
I too wanted to clean up the bass of my A5's which are on a coffee table in my home office. My wife had these props, http://www.huggermugger.com/productDetailServlet?ProductStoreCategory=BL-FOAM-4#selectDescDetail , available so I tried them as they are the most inert substance I could imagine.

I think they did a great job so now I am going to buy a pair for my A5's. They are also available in a larger size, which I will buy, as well as cork, bamboo or birch. I doubt the wood would be a good choice although they look nice.

You can buy foam props like this at any yoga or pilates studio 

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
I too wanted to clean up the bass of my A5's which are on a coffee table in my home office. My wife had these props, http://www.huggermugger.com/productDetailServlet?ProductStoreCategory=BL-FOAM-4#selectDescDetail , available so I tried them as they are the most inert substance I could imagine.

I think they did a great job so now I am going to buy a pair for my A5's. They are also available in a larger size, which I will buy, as well as cork, bamboo or birch. I doubt the wood would be a good choice although they look nice.

You can buy foam props like this at any yoga or pilates studio 

Those look pretty good. I wish they came in black :frowning2:

Speaking of lifting A5's, at what height should they be lifted to?

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
There is a version that does come in black: http://www.huggermugger.com/productDetailServlet?ProductStoreCategory=BL-FOAM-4-RECYCLED

Nice!

Quote:
tweeter to ear height.

Thanks. It sounds a little better than when the tweeters were at my neck level.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 27
The bamboo would look very nice with the bamboo A5's
smile.gif
 Who knows, they might sound OK as well. 

They have cork ones at the studio where my wife teaches. They look good and would be quite inert as well but they are not nearly as dense as the foam ones.

How dense is the material in mopars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back