Ideas on the problem with my Ety ER-4S?
May 15, 2006 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dave in gva

New Head-Fier
Great experiences with my Etys for the last 6 years or so but this weekend I noticed reduced volume on the left side.

Popped off the earplug and filter, expecting to find something blocking the channel but there's nothing. The left side looks identical to the right and still sounds way lower in volume even without the plug or the filter in place....

Has the driver crapped out? Anyone else with a similar story? What's the fix - do I need to go to a new set of phones?

Using Xins Supermacro3 but keeping the volumes reasonable...

May 15, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 9
This same thing happened to my E1c's I sent them in to Shure to be repaired or replaced. They ended up being replaced (with E3c's).

Two other times it happened with my E3c's because rain water got inside one of the phones. I dried it out by sticking it in the oven on a cookies sheet at 125 degrees F for about ten minutes. Problem solved.

May 15, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you tried replacing the filters. If you have already, then email customer service and see what they can do for you.

May 15, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi guys, well thanks for the answers.

Luke, one of my first thoughts was maybe earwax had got in behind the filter or something and was not so visible. So I rolled up a bit of Kleenex into a long thin wire and put it into the canal and then blasted the canal with a hair dryer for a while. My idea was I could melt wax if it was in there and the Kleenex would draw it up. So....while I haven't got a history of getting rain or water in there I've at least heated them up pretty well and there's been no change.

Milkpowder yeah I replaced the filters. No change. And yeah for what it's worth I am using the Etys with an iPod - out to the SIK DIN adapter on the line out and into the Xin Supermacro3 amp. Not sure what you are wondering about here - it is not the iPod if that's what you're wondering as I get normal sound if I switch over to another set of earphones...just nowhere near as nice as my Etys
confused.gif

May 15, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 9
are your levels too reasonable?

if an amp is operating at low output levels, it's not uncommon for the balance to be off. i had the same problem when i started using more power-hungry speakers with my computer. if possible, decrease the output from source, and increase the level of amplification. should result in the same sum volume, with more accurate balance.

May 15, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
This same thing happened to my E1c's I sent them in to Shure to be repaired or replaced. They ended up being replaced (with E3c's).

Two other times it happened with my E3c's because rain water got inside one of the phones. I dried it out by sticking it in the oven on a cookies sheet at 125 degrees F for about ten minutes. Problem solved.

mmmm baked IEMs, add a pinch of salt and peper for a tasty treat

May 16, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 9
Well thanks all. No worries the levels might be too reasonable - the low volume is there whether I am at full output direct out of the iPod from the headphone socket, full volume out of the line out into my amp, or high volume off the amp. Other earphones sound fine on those connections. The problem is the left channel on my etys and I'd say the transducer must need replacing.

Etys customer service has already stepped up and said they can do an RMA for me. Won't be covered on warranty but a new transducer in there is said to cost around 80 bucks.

I had been looking at the UE-10's.....but from what I can see it's a better sound but not miles ahead. One of those marginal gains for a huge chunk of change. Still.....what can I say, I am tempted...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back