Ideas on Op-amps for Gaming/Music, Third-person and/or First Person Games. Rock n Roll, Alternative Music. Asus Xonar Essence ST. HD 598
Jun 12, 2012 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

edge68

New Head-Fier
I ordered the Asus Xonar Essence ST and while I'm waiting for that I was wondering if anyone could recommend some opamps that would be interesting or benificial for competitive and non-competitive gaming.
Music is second to gaming, and if I can improve on music and gaming that would be a plus.

Game examples are: Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Max Payne 3 and any and all Third games out....jk.

An example of op-amps I'm interested in is something that can improve the soundstage so I can hear bullets farther away than the stock amps on the AXE ST.
But other than improving soundstage, i'm interested in any other improvements over stock amps.
I'm using an Sennheiser HD 598.

PS I have nothing against the stock amps, I just like trying new stuff and this would be my first real headphone soundcard.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Jun 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 4
For better sound stage in games, I would rather try different headphones and/or 3D audio settings. The AKG Q701, for example, is said to be quite good for gaming, although I do not have it myself. Replacing op amps is more of a placebo effect than something that is really useful, and can even make the sound worse, or result in RF oscillation. I would also avoid the Burson discrete op amps, they are basically the same as the Audio GD "Earth", and according to Samuel Groner's measurements, these are quite bad. Additionally, the discrete op amps need more space due to their large size, and I think they require using the card without the EMI shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back