Ideas for a research paper?!? HELP!
Oct 1, 2003 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in an English 102 class at a community college... real tough school
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I was trying to find a research topic (has to be argumentative or compare / contrast where something is proved... a side wins... is controversial).

I was hell-bent on doing a Led Zeppling compare and contrast with the Who but, ultimately, couldn't really find anything to prove aside from... The Who is a more chaotic band... Led Zepplin is more focused... blah blah blah, not anything research worthy. I had basically wanted to compare John Bonham and Keith Moon but didn't know what my ultimate point would be. "Keith consumed more uppers while Bonham was quite the drunk!"

Moving on, I thought about diesel vs gasoline, gasoline vs biodiesel or some kind of alternative fuel paper. My suggestions to the teacher keep getting shot down cited as informative and not controversial. I was thinking of biodiesel's ability to be grown and made plus not having to rely on middle easter countries for our well being but couldn't formulate a topic.

Rambling on to the teacher, I stumbled across "If you buy gasoline, you buy terrorism" as a joke. It wasn't until then did she think I had a topic.

Do you guys have any ideas or any research paper expertise you can lend? Where's scrypt? :p

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 16
You want something conterversial?

Maybe check in the take it outside forum.

Well here some controversial idea.

PS.:I don't want to discuss opinion this is for the TIO forum I just trow in some idea of controversial topic. and no offence intended to any parties this is just idea trow off the top of my head without any real deep tought or research

Irak korea weapon of mass destruction why europe is all agains bush irak intervention?

gay marriage?

the old pro-life killing abortion doctor.?

why neonazi and KKK still have member in US should we allow them to talk?

How the british allow terrorist group propaganda and reunion because of the right of freespeech?

should we allow foreing governement to ack as they want? what right do we have to interfere? how about human right. Do we know what we are doing when we don't begin to understand the other people culture?

Why America is considere more violent country? is it realy compare to elsewhere. if yes why if no where those this view come from.

Violence in TV does it affect kid. is is the job of parent or legislator to regulate.

Patriot ACT. does it stop terrorist or is a form of racial discrimination and overpower given to the state.

how far security can take away from freedom.

Cloning should it be allow

research on human embrionic cell? does it cure something and it is from aborttion embryon anyway or we don't have the right to treat something that "human" like laboratory rat

The question you have to ask yourself is who care. can I sell it in a trash paper and make money. if your answer is nobody realy care just a small number of person then the topic is not controversial enough.

and for tips a good research paper have a lot of reference. ask the librarian at your school. They usualy have multiple database of article than can be search very easly online or trought the school's computer. You can get ton of source if you search correctly.

Oct 2, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Controversial... she's wants controversy. Her idea of controversy is whether or not kids straight out of high school should go into the NBA. Ask her about gay marriages or the ACLU / Libertarian party - "No, we're not going to touch on those subjects" - She's a Souther Baptist minister!

I'll pass the neonazi, kkk thing by her.... I wonder what she'd think as she's African-American. Not sure I'd want to do a paper on it but I figure... if nothing else, heh.

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 16
racial quotas in college admisions maybe? thats always been kinda controversial. i couldnt think of anything better as i too hate comming up with ideas for papers. good luck

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 16
Wow, there's affirmative action in college admittance? INTERESTING! Heh, I honestly didn't know that.

Oct 2, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 16
Note, however, that "affirmative action" and "quota" are NOT the same thing.

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 16
Why should you switch to speakers and abandon your precious headphones?

BWHAHAHHAHA CoControversial enough?

Genetically modified crops?

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 16
Nuclear energy (there is a *very small* risk that some accident happens, but why not accept this risk as we do it for cars, where having thousands of deaths per year is considered an acceptable price to pay for transport confort) vs. fossil energies (who contribute to gas pollution (=>climate change), fine particle pollution etc., all factors which certainly affect negatively society and individuals' health).

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to go ahead with the college quotas topic. SunByrne, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate but what is the difference between quota and affirmative action?

-Ash

Oct 3, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 16
It's not a charged quesiton, it's one of definition.

A quota says "some % of the people should meet criterion X, some % meet criterion Y, some % meet Z, etc." In terms of the racial preference issue, it's something like "we'll admit 10% blacks, 10% hispanics, etc."

There are virtually no affirmative action programs which work like that, and people who rail against "racial quotas" are barking up the wrong tree. In fact, I believe the Supreme Court ruled quotas unconstitutional some time ago.

Typically, affirmative action programs give some kind of improved evaluation for members of specific minority groups--like, you score every applicant, and give blacks a +10. You aren't setting a specific number of blacks to be accepted, though, just giving them a bump. The specific variant of this used by the University of Michigan was ruled unconstitutional, but another variant of this idea used by the law school was ruled OK.

This *is* a form of preferential treatment based on race, the merits of which are certainly debateable, but it's *not* a quota.

Good luck with your paper!

Oct 3, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 16
Gus,

since this is an English 102 paper, why not do a comaprative of how writing has changed over the years?

This is one of my favourite "essays": http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/vasari1.html

Where is the poetry in today's writing? Where is the slow meanderiing and colourful impressionistic imagery?

If you compare books written in the 1920's to today's writing you just might be in for a shock. Just compare school books from then and now.

I'm still looking for a book titled "Zot!," I believe. It was about a kid who found a medallion. It was made into a Columbia movie. Man, talk about good writing.

Oct 5, 2003 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 16
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I appreciate all of the help, no doubt! UNFORTUNATELY, I was shot down... yet again! People are turning in sheets filled with topics to no avail... unbelievable.

"Hey, I have this topic... Should racial quotas be instituted in universiti...."

"No school oriented topics."

"Well, it's more about affirmative action (I know, the two are different but I had to reply quickly) than school."

"Oh ok. Someone is doing that."

Be back later... going to hang myself.

Oct 6, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by pikawel
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I appreciate all of the help, no doubt! UNFORTUNATELY, I was shot down... yet again! People are turning in sheets filled with topics to no avail... unbelievable.

"Hey, I have this topic... Should racial quotas be instituted in universiti...."

"No school oriented topics."

"Well, it's more about affirmative action (I know, the two are different but I had to reply quickly) than school."

"Oh ok. Someone is doing that."

Be back later... going to hang myself.

ahh bummer, im flattered that you went ahead with what i recommended though. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

that sucks that your teacher is a hardass.

Oct 6, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 16
Forget the rock music topics, this is supposed to be higher education.
wink.gif
Its a research paper right? Choose a topic with which you have some knowledge of, or even an opinion on. That will help you focus your research in a given direction. Keep an open mind. You might actually learn something during the course of your research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back