ideal specs for custom audio PC (ripping times)
May 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
heres my plan. i want a desktop pc as my source in my home rig.

It will connect optically coaxially or USB to a DAC, so all i need is a sound card with those outputs. Now, i know i want a 500gb (7200) hard drive. These are all the things i need.

However, need very powerful, quick rips. my current laptop takes 1 hour per album. I have over 500 albums! SO, what things are important for good rips?
I will upgrade the CD drive to a plexor straight away.
i PLan on 1gb SD DDR2 RAM.

WHat other aspects are important for fast rips?

Will the processor affect rip speeds much? any other specs for good rip?

so, my three neccessaties (e every other component should be rubbish to save money):

1)500gb hd
2)1GB Ram
3)optical, coaxial, usb ports
4) Any other things that greatly affect rip times

p.s i will rip as flac probably.

what price would we be looking at? i know that this depends on whether the processor is important. if so, the price will increase significantly i guess.
Thanks

May 2, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Gotta go with the Intel C2D processor. Intel rips faster than AMD does. =T The requirements you listed are basically standard (minus the 500Gb hd). I do recommend going with a 10k rpm Raptor as a main drive with a 320 or 500 Gb 2nd drive to store your information. =T

May 2, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heres my plan. i want a desktop pc as my source in my home rig.

It will connect optically coaxially or USB to a DAC, so all i need is a sound card with those outputs. Now, i know i want a 500gb (7200) hard drive. These are all the things i need.

However, need very powerful, quick rips. my current laptop takes 1 hour per album. I have over 500 albums! SO, what things are important for good rips?
I will upgrade the CD drive to a plexor straight away.
i PLan on 1gb SD DDR2 RAM.

WHat other aspects are important for fast rips?

Will the processor affect rip speeds much? any other specs for good rip?

so, my three neccessaties (e every other component should be rubbish to save money):

1)500gb hd
2)1GB Ram
3)optical, coaxial, usb ports
4) Any other things that greatly affect rip times

p.s i will rip as flac probably.

what price would we be looking at? i know that this depends on whether the processor is important. if so, the price will increase significantly i guess.
Thanks

Quick rips with EAC depend on one thing: your optical drive and the features implemented on it. I have a Samsung DVD-RW drive that rips most albums to FLAC in less than five minutes with EAC (secure mode). This is with an Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8ghz), 1gb RAM. On my parents computer (P4 3.0ghz, 1gb RAM, NEC DVD-RW) it takes about 15 minutes to rip an album. People with much faster systems have posted that it takes them 30+ minutes to rip an album.

The fact is, you don't need a humdinger of a computer to get fast rips, you just need an optical drive that works well with EAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back